Apple Pay without lockscreen asking for passcode

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by rosschang, Apr 5, 2019.

1. rosschang macrumors member

Been wanting to setup Apple Pay but had been too lazy or too busy to do so.

Recently had time, took out a bunch of card and wanting to add to apple pay, only to notice that it requires a passcode setup.

Would like to ask, is there a way to use apple pay (with passcode setup), without the phone asking me for passcode each time I unlock it?

[Edit]: using IphoneX.

2. AstonSmith macrumors newbie

You could set up FaceID as well. You unlock your phone with your face instead of a passcode, and also authorise Apple Pay the same way.

You will be asked to confirm your passcode approx once a week though, and on some other occasions (reboot, update, anywhere I forgot).

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

4. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Re @AstonSmith comment about occasional prompting for passcode:

https://www.apple.com/business/site/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

So, yeah, basically once a week (I see it Sunday mornings when I wake up).

5. rosschang thread starter macrumors member

Yup, accept that Passcode and/or FaceId is needed to use ApplePay. Problem is, the phone ask for passcode and/or faceId everything I unlock it. That is a big annoyance.

Just wanted to know, if there is a way, after setting up Passcode and/or faceId, that I won't need to use Passcode and/or FaceId everything I unlock the phone.

6. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

Not possible. You can turn off Face ID to unlock but you’ll have to enter your passcode every time.

7. aldo82 macrumors regular

I would suggest trying to get used to it. Why not have security on your phone? You may not have anything on that you consider private but why give a thief a free ride if they steal it from you? Most of the time I find faceID so seamless that its not obvious I have security enabled anyway

8. coldwaves macrumors regular

Unfortunately no. Using Apple Pay requires you to set up Face ID and passcode. Once Face ID and passcode are set up, you need to use either Face ID or passcode to unlock the phone every time. There is no way to disable that. Once you get used to it, it is actually not that inconvenient. You will get used to it pretty quickly.

9. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

You can go into settings on the iPhone's Apple Watch app and under 'passcode' enable 'unlock with iPhone'. When you unlocked your phone with Face ID your watch gets unlocked. I almost never type my passcode into my watch and I use Apple Pay on it almost every day.

Face ID on the phone couldn't be more convenient IMO.

10. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

Couldn't agree more about Face ID. Much more seamless than the Fingerprint method!

11. nikusak macrumors regular

Why don’t you just use FaceID?

(Apple doesn’t send your facial data to the cloud or NSA or FBI)

12. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

They will. And you will not know.

13. nikusak macrumors regular

No, they don’t.

It’s the same with Touch ID. The data is only in the secure enclave and it’s also
    *not* in the backups, iTunes or iCloud.

Jailbreaking community and other iOS hackers would have discovered it all by now if the data was sent somewhere and the resulting publicity would be really destructive for Apple.

Also, nobody has been able to gain access to secure enclave. The “memory” of it is physically inaccessible for the main CPU.

So no, your data isn’t sent anywhere: the fingerprint / face data stays in the device.

(Never understood where these insane conspiracy theories come from)

14. newtestleper macrumors 6502

Shame you haven’t had time to research this yourself.

15. rosschang thread starter macrumors member

does not fit my use case. 1/2 the time I unlock my phone while it is laying flat on the table charging.

16. nikusak macrumors regular

You can still use it.

Tap, swipe up, wait a bit, enter passcode. In other situations, use your face.

Or get wireless charger which lets you prop up your phone. Then all you need is to look at your phone to unlock.

Seriously, Face ID is great. No reason not to use it.

17. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Ok.
    This is more of a “doomsday” mindset than a conspiracy theory. But whatever.
    Touch ID is still good. And asking for device passcode may still be normal. Asking for Apple ID password? Maybe remove and add the card again? Sometimes Apple cannot confirm that is the right card on file and request Apple ID credentials, I guess.

18. rosschang thread starter macrumors member

As I'd wrote earlier, I don't even want to key in passcode when I unlock my phone. Face ID? yea tried it, it's fun. seconds after than, disabled everything.

Point being, if using ApplePay mandates setting a passcode/faceId, and subsequent after setting passcode/faceId, I'll have to use it EVERY TIME when I unlock my phone? no, not using it. :)

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

please sell all your technology now

20. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Until I am dead, there is nothing I can do.

21. DaveOP macrumors 65816

This is correct. If you had Apple Pay with no pass code, someone could steal your phone and authorize as many transactions as they wanted with no security.