Apple Pay without Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shikaka, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

Although I have only been able to use it at a limited number of places, so far I have had great experiences with Apple Pay. I like the fact that I don't have to carry a wallet, cash, credit card, etc.

If it becomes more widely accepted, I could easily see Apple Pay being my primary form of payment.

I work in a labor intensive industry. My hands and fingers get pretty beat up. I think Touch ID works amazingly on my iPhone 6 however, there are times when my fingertips and thumbs are so scratched and calloused that Touch ID simply doesn't recognize my fingerprint.

I know that fingerprint recognition is the primary form of identity security for Apple Pay. Is there any other way to still use Apple Pay when you don't have a clean fingerprint for Touch ID?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you need to setup touch ID in order to enable apple pay.
    But once you do I believe you can use your pin to pay instead of touch ID.

3. Shikaka thread starter macrumors regular

So I could hold the phone next to the NFC terminal and instead of using my fingerprint, enter a PIN instead? Is the PIN entered on the NFC terminal? Or iPhone?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its entered on your phone.
    But sometimes terminals want you to enter you debit card pin in their machine if you're using a debit card. Or you can click cancel to process it as credit.

5. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I saw a few weeks back a mechanic was talking about TouchID since he tends to have dirty hands quite often. His solution was that he setup his finger super clean. Then he set it up as it normally is. Then he set it up when it was really dirty. I have no first hand knowledge, but he claims this works great for him.

That might be a workable solution for getting your finger to read better.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can use a passcode with Apple Pay. Deselect use TouchID for Apple Pay in settings. You'll then get the prompt "Pay with Passcode" instead of "Pay with TouchID" when you use Apple Pay.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Most people at the top are quick to reply the wrong answer. You can turn off Touch ID and use the passcode instead for Apple Pay.

8. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Also, don't forget, you won't need to use a fingerprint OR a pin # for Apple Pay using the Apple Watch when that comes out.

9. Shikaka thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting tip. Thank you! On a related note, has anyone tried setting up a slightly moist fingerprint. Moisture seems to be the other bane of Touch ID.