Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Although I have only been able to use it at a limited number of places, so far I have had great experiences with Apple Pay. I like the fact that I don't have to carry a wallet, cash, credit card, etc.

If it becomes more widely accepted, I could easily see Apple Pay being my primary form of payment.

I work in a labor intensive industry. My hands and fingers get pretty beat up. I think Touch ID works amazingly on my iPhone 6 however, there are times when my fingertips and thumbs are so scratched and calloused that Touch ID simply doesn't recognize my fingerprint.

I know that fingerprint recognition is the primary form of identity security for Apple Pay. Is there any other way to still use Apple Pay when you don't have a clean fingerprint for Touch ID?

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
No, you need to setup touch ID in order to enable apple pay.
But once you do I believe you can use your pin to pay instead of touch ID.

So I could hold the phone next to the NFC terminal and instead of using my fingerprint, enter a PIN instead? Is the PIN entered on the NFC terminal? Or iPhone?

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I saw a few weeks back a mechanic was talking about TouchID since he tends to have dirty hands quite often. His solution was that he setup his finger super clean. Then he set it up as it normally is. Then he set it up when it was really dirty. I have no first hand knowledge, but he claims this works great for him.

That might be a workable solution for getting your finger to read better.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Also, don't forget, you won't need to use a fingerprint OR a pin # for Apple Pay using the Apple Watch when that comes out.

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I saw a few weeks back a mechanic was talking about TouchID since he tends to have dirty hands quite often. His solution was that he setup his finger super clean. Then he set it up as it normally is. Then he set it up when it was really dirty. I have no first hand knowledge, but he claims this works great for him.

That might be a workable solution for getting your finger to read better.

Interesting tip. Thank you! On a related note, has anyone tried setting up a slightly moist fingerprint. Moisture seems to be the other bane of Touch ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.