Apple Pay: Working in Australia?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by -BigMac-, Mar 25, 2015.

1. -BigMac-, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015

-BigMac- Suspended

-BigMac-

Hi Guys.

I was wondering if Apple Pay works in Australia using the change region to USA hack?

Is there any surcharges for using US Apple Pay when in Australia?

Thanks!

2. Cityboy89 macrumors newbie

It will only work if you have a supported card that is listed on apples website.

3. techguy9 macrumors regular

techguy9

And if you do have a supported card, you may have to face conversion fees depending on your card.

4. Michael Anthony macrumors regular

Be careful here

Not an expert on Apple Pay, but performing a hack to change the region could possibly violate laws regarding credit card use, just a heads up, maybe someone might want to look into that further

5. Cityboy89 macrumors newbie

You are technically not hacking anything. Just simply changing a setting that anyone can change within the phone. not violating anything laws

6. Michael Anthony macrumors regular

Pioneers can sometimes blip up as a false positive on the radar, so to speak, I think that's a better way of putting it :) I really don't know much about Apple Pay because I've been out of the Apple news area for a bit, but... well, I'm back and that's what I can say. Advice where I can, learn where I can :)

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

Australian banks are not right now supporting Apple Pay for the simple fact that they don't need to.

Unlike America, Australian banks had/have great support for NFC debit/credit cards. You walk into virtually any retailer in Australia and there is an extremely high chance that their eftpos machine supports 'Tap and Go'.

So basically, Australian banks don't need Apple's assistance in getting NFC out into the general population and thus don't need to give apple any 'cut' of their revenue.

On a personal note I have this 'tag' stuck on the back of my iPhone which is available from commonwealth bank. It is a NFC tap and go tag. In the commbank app you can select which account the tag is linked to, withdraw money from an atm with out having to have a real card with you. You can also active /deactivate the card through the app.

Attached Files: