Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
I see Apple constantly bragging about how many businesses they have now accepting Apple Pay. What I don't get is, Apple Pay works anywhere that has the NFC logo on the credit card reader, regardless of if Apple has spoken with them yet. I don't need to look up to see if a business has "signed on" with Apple Pay or not; I just hold up my phone to that logo and it always works.

Is Apple just getting the blessing from these businesses on Apple Pay, even though it already works there either way? I'm not sure I understand the strategy...

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
I see Apple constantly bragging about how many businesses they have now accepting Apple Pay. What I don't get is, Apple Pay works anywhere that has the NFC logo on the credit card reader, regardless of if Apple has spoken with them yet. I don't need to look up to see if a business has "signed on" with Apple Pay or not; I just hold up my phone to that logo and it always works.

Is Apple just getting the blessing from these businesses on Apple Pay, even though it already works there either way? I'm not sure I understand the strategy...

if it's got that NFC sideway wifi symbol, it'll probably work. Apple knows, it's on their site.
some places have this turned off, so it won't work. I was at Michaels, they have the new nfc, it didn't work because they turned it off so it didn't work with my card that has nfc chip either.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Many retailers have a hodge podge of things across their stores at dofferent levels of hardware updates.
Some have the NFC hardware, but disabled, or the software path to their processor incomplete.

Apple is getting the announced retailers to commit to updating all their stores asap.

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Many retailers have a hodge podge of things across their stores at dofferent levels of hardware updates.
Some have the NFC hardware, but disabled, or the software path to their processor incomplete.

Apple is getting the announced retailers to commit to updating all their stores asap.

Great explanation. I wonder why Apple doesn't say more often "By the way, even if we haven't announced a store, it doesn't mean Apple Pay won't work. Give it a try whenever you see the NFC symbol." Once I learned Apple Pay worked anywhere with that symbol, I became a lot more excited about it.

By the way, the new Samsung Pay apparently works with any credit card reader, regardless of NFC capabilities. I wish Apple had that technology!

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
By the way, the new Samsung Pay apparently works with any credit card reader, regardless of NFC capabilities. I wish Apple had that technology!

I am not totally positive, but I don't think that is accurate. I have LoopPay which is what Samsung basically uses inside the phone. I have LoopPay and bought it bc it was suppose to work at 90% of all terminals no matter what. I have about 50% success rate. Loves/Target/Krogers etc.

What's interesting on Krogers is that LP works at self checkout in one of the two I shop at. But, in the second it works nowhere.

I would prefer AP everywhere. I like the instant notification and Token system. :apple: :apple:

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Great explanation. I wonder why Apple doesn't say more often "By the way, even if we haven't announced a store, it doesn't mean Apple Pay won't work. Give it a try whenever you see the NFC symbol." Once I learned Apple Pay worked anywhere with that symbol, I became a lot more excited about it.

Because there are still places that don't work even with that symbol. Apple doesn't want to mislead people even if it's not a common experience since it would still present with a poor experience and not consistent with what Apple would have told them at that point.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Thank you :)

Samsung pay to MSR, Loop/Pay...
There is no security benefit.
IIRC it generates a magnetic field sending plain text to the mag-swipe head, of all your account credentials as a card present transaction.
Terrible.
Apple is not interested because it isn't a revolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.