Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
Well Apple said from 01/07/15. It's down to the banks now I guess. Not seen any of them specify dates yet.

Apple just said July, they didn't say the 1st. It can't be down to the banks because Apple haven't enabled the option to add Apple Pay cards in the UK yet. They need to do the server change to open it up. They will probably announce a go live date soon like they did in the US when it launched.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
...nor McDonald's (I only go there for my kids). In the latter, the cashier didn't even know what Apple Pay is.

I don't normally go to McDonald's, but I've been there about 8 or 9 times in the last 6 weeks just so I can use Apple Pay. At least half of the time, the drive-thru cashier has no idea what Apple Pay is and when I explain it, they insist on getting a manager before putting the reader out the window and allowing me to put my Watch up against it.

Pretty ridiculous. Apple Pay has been out for awhile now. Train your cashiers McDonalds. It's not hard.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I don't normally go to McDonald's, but I've been there about 8 or 9 times in the last 6 weeks just so I can use Apple Pay. At least half of the time, the drive-thru cashier has no idea what Apple Pay is and when I explain it, they insist on getting a manager before putting the reader out the window and allowing me to put my Watch up against it.

Pretty ridiculous. Apple Pay has been out for awhile now. Train your cashiers McDonalds. It's not hard.

More than likely if there's not enough customers using Apple Pay, then the company is not going to make it a priority for training their employees on what it is. I only tried using Apple Pay two times in the last year at the drive-thru, and I found the experience counter productive for me and the cashier. First off, the cashier had to stick the AP reader out of the window so my phone could be scanned, and because I was paying with debit card, I still had to punch in my pin number. It would be far easier to just hand him the card and get on to the next window.

I don't know if AP is ever going to be as universal enough to have to carry my cards in my iPhone case. Like I said, AP works great at SaveMart, but in other places I find it hit and miss. I would really want my phone and watch to be the only thing I need to carry with me to pay for stuff, but that's just not going to the be the case. Apple is a multibillion dollar company, but that doesn't mean they rule the world.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
More than likely if there's not enough customers using Apple Pay, then the company is not going to make it a priority for training their employees on what it is. I only tried using Apple Pay two times in the last year at the drive-thru, and I found the experience counter productive for me and the cashier. First off, the cashier had to stick the AP reader out of the window so my phone could be scanned, and because I was paying with debit card, I still had to punch in my pin number. It would be far easier to just hand him the card and get on to the next window.

I don't know if AP is ever going to be as universal enough to have to carry my cards in my iPhone case. Like I said, AP works great at SaveMart, but in other places I find it hit and miss. I would really want my phone and watch to be the only thing I need to carry with me to pay for stuff, but that's just not going to the be the case. Apple is a multibillion dollar company, but that doesn't mean they rule the world.

It should work out better in the UK as contactless is a well known form of payment now, so rather than asking to pay with Apple Pay we can just say contactless and they will know what we mean.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I love using it at vending machines!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 150

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I used Apple Pay at the Trader Joe's in Albany NY for the first time. The terminal even says "Apple Pay" on it. Worked flawlessly. The teller said I was the first one to use it... I said, "I usually am wherever I go!"

I like to buy ice cream cones at various McDonald's to use it, especially at the drive-thru. Very hit or miss, although it has worked more places than not. One brought the terminal out the window, one actually took my phone (it worked since you can scan your fingerprint beforehand now), and a couple knew what it was but had no idea how to deal with it.

I've used it at various Panera Breads and have had 100% success. I wish Home Depot would accept it again. Then I would say it actually works most places I want to use it... Subway, Fresh Market, Walgreens, Whole Foods and Staples.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
My local Trader Joe's just added Apple Pay and it worked but I still had to manually select the credit card box on their terminal and I still had to sign.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I still don't understand how it's going to work on londons tube. It will take too long at ticket barriers at busy times.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I still don't understand how it's going to work on londons tube. It will take too long at ticket barriers at busy times.
Yeah, I was wondering that too. People seem to keep walking as they insert their ticket/swipe their Oyster or contactless card and the barrier usually only just opens in time.

I imagine using Apple Pay will be near impossible at peak times!

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
My local Trader Joe's just added Apple Pay and it worked but I still had to manually select the credit card box on their terminal and I still had to sign.

Oh maybe that's why it didn't work for me recently at Trader Joe's. The cashier told me that nothing needed to be selected, but I'll check to see if I need to select something next time.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I was wondering that too. People seem to keep walking as they insert their ticket/swipe their Oyster or contactless card and the barrier usually only just opens in time.

I imagine using Apple Pay will be near impossible at peak times!

It's definitely easier with the Watch. But like poorcody said, you can do Touch ID in advance now so that should help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.