Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xfs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Has anyone had any experience with the RBS Citizens Payment Plan? My question was more about what kinda credit score does one need to have in order to be approved?

I am looking in to buying MBPr 2.6/16GB/512ssd.

THank You.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Barclay approved me for $1500 with a 620 credit score. But I have a $115k income and I'm not sure if that tipped the balance on the decision.

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
People that brag about their supposed income online: lame.

To the OP, get the Barclay card. Your initial Apple Store purchases are interest free for 6 or 12 months depending on how much you spend. Plus they offer interest free promos from time to time.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

To the OP, get the Barclay card. Your initial Apple Store purchases are interest free for 6 or 12 months depending on how much you spend. Plus they offer interest free promos from time to time.

Is bragging about my credit score lame? :p

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu

Wasn't bragging. Just stating a possibility that income was a factor in the credit line amount that I was given so that the OP didn't apply, misinformed, and received a lesser amount or was rejected and as a result received a hard credit pull on his credit record for no reason.

Being helpful > bragging.

----------

115k income and you need to get finance on a macbook - wow.

Re-read.. 620 credit score. 0% financing.. paid off over 12 months increases the credit score.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Barclay approved me for $1500 with a 620 credit score. But I have a $115k income and I'm not sure if that tipped the balance on the decision.

Barclay approved me for $3800 with a credit score of 758. And I make 1/4 what you make. :D

Last edited:

xfs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Thank you for your responses everyone. But my question was if RBS Citizens payment plan, how hard is it to get approved for that.

mthoma86

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
RBS Citizens gave me a 4k spending limit. My scores are in mid-700s for all 3 credit bureaus. They start at $499 for giving out these loans so you can kind of gauge what they will give you by looking at your score. I also had alot of inquiries so im surprised they actually gave me credit!:eek:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

This made me lol, literally.

I was once told, "just because they make a lot of money, doesnt mean they have a lot of money, they could have a lot of debt".

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

From a finance point of view, it's a smart move especially for someone in an above average income bracket but a low FICO credit score.

----------

Could be many reasons, but the first question is why the low score ?

richlee111

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I have had a disappointing firsthand experience w/ Apple and RBS. Long story short, I was approved back in June. Then in late July, I made up my mind to purchase w/ the RBS payment plan. So I went through the process and things looked good. Then some technical or system problem happened with my order, and Apple did not get the payment approval from RBS. So I was left having signed a promissory note saying that I have taken out this loan, while Apple and RBS could not figure out how to get this issue resolved. This took place for over 3 weeks. So in the end their solution to me is to reapply for the loan, which would have meant that I would get another credit inquiry hit on my credit history. At that point, I said screw it, I will just purchase the base model from my local Apple store.

BTW, the supervisor at Apple who I was working with promised to send me a free bag, but to this day I have not received it because my original "stuck" order has my bag order in limbo as well:mad: Oh well.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
This made me lol, literally.

I was once told, "just because they make a lot of money, doesnt mean they have a lot of money, they could have a lot of debt".

Very true. I know people with great careers who struggle with debt, and others who make very little money, but spend very little, and have large amounts saved. It all depends on the person. Wanting more than your means allow isn't reflective of any one income level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.