Apple PDA?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MadDoc, Apr 8, 2007.

1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

Lot's of us want one (I for one am sick of Palm OS 5 which hasn't been updated for ages) but with the advent of the iPhone - has this become a more realistic possibility. I do't want t combined PDA / phone and I don't want to pay as much as the iPhone is going to sell for.

Am I being unrealistic?

MadDoc,

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Probably unrealistic: PDAs have been massively losing sales to phone/PDAs, so I don't see Apple trying to take a slice of a shrinking market.

The closest you might hope for, I think, is a) a new Mac subnotebook, b) a future lower-end/cheaper iPhone, or c) a new touchscreen iPod with limited extras. Like current iPods have: they can view calendars and contacts but not edit them.

All just guesswork, though!

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Unlikely. On a side note, "PDA" (personal digital assistant) is actually an Apple-originated term:

[​IMG]

4. MadDoc thread starter macrumors 6502

MadDoc

I didn't realise that PDA was coined by Apple!

The iPhone looks very promising but I hope it supports 3rd party apps and games. If it did then I would be much more interested in buying one. I wonder if Apple will add an SD card slot in a revised model?

MadDoc,

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

OH how a GOOD Apple PDA would be.... i wanted a Newton - but had no need for it at the time.

I need a full function PDA/phone - the iPhone wouldn't cut it. Neither would Cingular.

So, i'll stick with my "archaic but works perfect" Treo 650. Does exactly what I need on my "family plan" network.

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Believe it or not, it was rumored a couple of years ago that Apple had a PDA all designed and ready for shipping, but Steve pulled the plug on it at the last minute.

I don't think Apple will release a PDA. I would however believe that something like an iPhone would start to phase out PDAs as the iPhone has so much more functionality than any PDA.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

How so??? Can I open Spreadsheets on it? Add an app to track medical info for my kids on there? Can i run handyshopper?

None of those things require me to go online, I rarely need/use mail or i-net on my phone anyway. But the rest? Almost daily!

My iPod does music & videos well - no need for that on my phone. I'd love to have it all in one - but I don't think right now the direction of the iPhone is headed in will allow that.

And, i'd not do well with a limit - i need all my "stuff" on the iPod at once :D

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

of course apple always come up with a good name:D real product was probably earlier by other ppl according to wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_digital_assistant

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Uh yeah... none of those "real products" could hardly be compared to the Newton. I have a few pre-Newton devices.