Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cibonak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
Montreal
how do we know if the new apple pencil is fake or real??

Is there a serial number?

Thx

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
In Settings/General there’s an Apple Pencil listing. Here, the serial number for your pencil and other information is present. I would think it’s pretty early for fakes to be out there already, but I could be wrong. Are there 1st gen Apple Pencil fakes out there?

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
In Settings/General there’s an Apple Pencil listing. Here, the serial number for your pencil and other information is present. I would think it’s pretty early for fakes to be out there already, but I could be wrong. Are there 1st gen Apple Pencil fakes out there?

Thanks BaddAdvice for the location of the serial number. Didn’t think it had one

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Wait, there are clone pencils lol?

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
I'd doubt a fake, if they exist, would pair and work with your iPad, so give it a try to see if it does. And check the s/n like Baddvice indicates.

If you don't have it in front of you and are wondering how to tell from photos...walk away. Any deal too good to be true probably is. You can't be saving THAT much on a pencil 2....anyone who has an extra could just return it to the Apple Store for a full refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.