Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently added the second-generation Apple Pencil to its online store for refurbished products in the United States, offering the accessory at a discounted price for the first time.

Apple is selling the second-generation Apple Pencil for $109, which is a $20 discount off of the original $129 price. $109 is the lowest price that we've seen on the Apple Pencil 2, so Apple's deal is solid for anyone looking to pick up a new Apple Pencil.

refurbishedapplepenci-800x722.jpg

The Apple Pencil 2 is compatible with the 2018 11-inch iPad Pro and the 2018 12.9-inch iPad Pro only. All other iPad models that support the Apple Pencil work with the original Apple Pencil, not the second-generation version.

Next-generation iPad Pro models that are in development will also likely be compatible with Apple Pencil 2.

Compared to the original Apple Pencil, the Apple Pencil 2 does away with the Lightning port at the top of the device, instead charging wirelessly via the iPad Pro itself through a magnetic connection.

The second-generation Apple Pencil also supports gestures, so with a tap, you can change brushes or quickly switch from a brush to an eraser without having to pick up the pencil and select a new tool.

Article Link: Apple Pencil 2 Now Available From Apple's Refurbished Store for $109

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Literally the most advanced, best pencil available today with the lowest latency by far, especially with the iOS 13 update. I'd love for it to be cheaper too but I don't think people appreciate the tech in products like this, or HomePod.

You definitely do not know the market... ever heard of Wacom? Adobe Ink? Adonit?

Reactions: miniyou64
Comment

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The places that second hand pencil might have been...

No thanks I’d rather spend 20$ more on a new pencil.

Really. How do you "refurbish" a pencil? Maybe replace the battery? Or maybe they're just perfectly functional returns that have been checked and repackaged?
[automerge]1569282183[/automerge]
No. Just bc it’s on the rerub site, doesn’t mean a new one is coming soon. Apple has to resell those returns somehow.

Yes, I think that's it.

Comment

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
When I think of the time from when the Pencil 2 was released, to how many subsequent updates/remakes of the iPad (all versions) have been released in the meantime ... and yet it *still* only works on 2 models?

That's what's shameful.

Comment

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
When I think of the time from when the Pencil 2 was released, to how many subsequent updates/remakes of the iPad (all versions) have been released in the meantime ... and yet it *still* only works on 2 models?

That's what's shameful.
Magnetic attachment and inductive charging are features reserved for Pro models. So is FaceID and some other things.

Why is that “shameful”? You pay more, you get more.

Comment

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
I love the features and capability of my 2nd gen Apple Pencil! So excited for lower latency in iPadOS!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.