iPad Pro Apple Pencil 2 with USB typc C port?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by The Game 161, Oct 10, 2018.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

if rumours are true surely this will happen to charge the pencil. I know I only use my current pencil to charge as not sure where the adapter to charge even is.

Be interesting what improvements we will see to the pencil

2. LordCoe13 macrumors regular

LordCoe13

I wish it also had wireless charging capability. That way, my desk can have AirPower to charge my Phone, AirPods, and Pencil if I lay it down when not in use. (watch would be on my wrist instead).

3. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

I hope they let the gen 2 Apple Pencil charge wirelessly thru the magnetic connector somehow rather than doing what they did with the first gen Apple Pencil. Having to take off the cap(which can be lost) and sticking the pencil into the lightning port where it can snap off is not ideal.

4. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

Why would there be any port - for charging or ortherwise? I’m guessing that wireless charging will be the only option and Apple Pencil 2 will basically be solid. Like a traditional pencil.

5. lansQ macrumors newbie

Nope, it will pair wirelessly and if won't charge wirelessly through the new magnetic connector then it will have a female port of some sort.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have always hated to charge the pencil by plugging into the port. New iPad could use USB-C which mean the pencil will charge via a doggle.

7. kristalsoldier macrumors 6502

kristalsoldier

So, does this mean that the Apple Pencil 2 will not be compatible with the older 10.5 iPad?

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

What does a potential USB-C port have to do with that? You can always use other chargers to charge it.

9. Donka macrumors 68030

Donka

Presumably because you pair it with the iPad by first plugging it in. I would think it would still work via a USB-C to Lightning adapter.

10. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I thought that the rumour was that the Apple Pencil 2 would have AirPod like pairing. If that’s the case then why would you need to plug it in to your iPad?

11. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

Nope :)