Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The third-generation Apple Pencil could be available with a range of interchangeable tips to emulate different drawing styles, according to a sketchy rumor shared by the X (formerly Twitter) user known as "Majin Bu."

m2-ipad-pro-apple-pencil-hover.jpeg

The next-generation Apple Pencil will apparently come with different tips for drawing, technical drawing, and painting that connect magnetically. Majin Bu did not share any further details about the device. After a flurry of rumors in 2021, rumors about a third-generation Apple Pencil model noticeably died down and nothing has been heard about the product until now.

In March 2021, the leaker known as "Mr. White" shared an image purporting to depict a next-generation Apple Pencil prototype that featured a shorter design, glossy finish, and a larger, deeper tip. Apple was believed to have worked on a smaller Apple Pencil designed for the iPad mini, as well as a $49 model for the iPhone, but both products never emerged and are said to have been canceled entirely.

It is worth noting that while Majin Bu often aggregates and shares information related to Apple's plans, they do not have a solid track record. The current Apple Pencil is the second-generation version introduced alongside the 2018 iPad Pro, meaning that it is one of the oldest Apple devices still on sale. As such, it is fairly likely that Apple has plans to launch a third-generation model at some point, and the company still files patents on new technologies for the accessory, but the latest rumor should still be taken with a pinch of salt until it is corroborated.

Article Link: Apple Pencil 3 Could Feature Magnetic Tips for Different Drawing Styles, Sketchy Rumor Claims

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
I'm not sure how feasible it is, but I would love an Apple Pencil that supports rotation.

For digital painting, the ability to rotate/turn a fan-brush style tool would be a game changer! As far as I know, there aren't any digital stylus that support this

swiftapplefan

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2023
I'm not sure how feasible it is, but I would love an Apple Pencil that supports rotation.

For digital painting, the ability to rotate/turn a fan-brush style tool would be a game changer! As far as I know, there aren't any digital stylus that support this
Technically in some brushes from Procreate the stroke reacts differently based on the pencil rotation I think, but I don’t know if it’s the same feature you described

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
Technically in some brushes from Procreate the stroke reacts differently based on the pencil rotation I think, but I don’t know if it’s the same feature you described
Yes, there is rotation support based on the angle of the pencil on the screen, but I'm looking for rotation support by 'twisting' the apple pencil. rough diagram:

applepencil.jpg

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Save your $$. Most of us haven't even figured out what to do with the Apple Pencil 1 & 2.

MOST of us - barely use it.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Pretty sure this was already thought of during Gen 1. Sad to see it come now after all these years.

120FPS

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2022
I would assume if Apple are going to make a bigger iPad with a 3NM M3-Series chip along with a change to the display technology they would announce a newer version of the Pencil to add to the package… along with a redesigned Magic Keyboard for iPad. Multi tips would be great, I’m guessing Paperlike screen protector manufacturers would welcome the move as it would allow them to create and sell more products that work best with their products as writing and drawing on the virgin glossy glossy is awful.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would assume if Apple are going to make a bigger iPad with a 3NM M3-Series chip along with a change to the display technology they would announce a newer version of the Pencil to add to the package…
I think we will see a new Pencil when rest of the iPads get a Landscape camera; the new Pencil will likely support having smaller split charging magnets on either side of the camera instead of the larger centered one on the current iPads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.