Apple Pencil Cap

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by iBighouse, Jun 8, 2016.

1. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

What's up with the Apple Pencil cap? I don't get why there is a small circular insert at the top. Does it serve some purpose? Is it removable and can it be swapped for color options? It's too fussy looking to be an afterthought...it's gotta serve some function.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I believe that's where the magnet sits. Or we're looking at different things.

3. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

I'm confused as heck, but I'm normally slow... o_O

The cap that protects the USB part?

Ooooh you mean the tip top dead center of the plastic cap itself!

Looks simply just comestic to me. I mean Apple is known for flashy stuff, no?

Good question nonetheless!

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's a safety feature to prevent the cap blocking a child's airway and choking them if they put it in their mouth

5. iBighouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

This makes some sense- but is there verification from Apple on that? Seems like Apple should have made the cap somehow attached to the pen...they sure left themselves open to a lot of people losing the small part.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Wouldn't there have to be a hole at the top for it to be a safety feature to prevent choking?

8. iBighouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

There kind of is a hole- all around the small circular inset item there are vent holes. You can easily suck air through the cap- so this must be their solution to the issue. Now, if they had just had some kind of a retractable cable/ribbon that connected the two so it could never be swallowed- it would help me from losing it too!

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Never put it in my mouth to try. But then I have a Pencil Cozy keeping mine attached to my Pencil so out can't come off.

10. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

They left themselves open to what? If someone loses it that their problem not Apples.

11. iBighouse thread starter macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

I keep thinking the round part on the top is like a click pen and I should be able to push on it to have it pop out.

12. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

I think it's there to let out the air inside so the magnet is stronger; less chance of loosing the cap.

13. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

I use a rubber cap on top that attaches to the pencil. The rubber cap covers the pencils cap so in essence there is not any air escaping.

I have no issues with topping the cap with the top of it covered up as it is.

14. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I've not personally had trouble keeping track of mine, nor do I expect to.
    But the cynics amongst us could say that it opens up, an admittedly small, extra revenue opportunity when Apple introduce replacement caps. I'm not one of them of course :D

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I quickly bought the Pencil Cozy as I found my cap coming off quite a bit and didn't want to even think about.

16. Dwmucla macrumors newbie

Well, think about it. Don't know how it happen but lost both today :( I have recently noticed that the pencil cozy has been less secure lately and I've had to slide it down a few times. Now, gone. hate to think what I will have to pay to replace it.

17. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

You had the Coxy and lost both your cap and the Cozy? Bummer

18. Dwmucla macrumors newbie

Yes, made an Apple Pencil owner happy. We'll see how apple deals with this. Via Apple chat, they said it is covered under the warranty but I need to go into the Apple Store. They reserved a time for me, they don't know if the store has them in stock or if there is a charge.