Apple Pencil Charging Dock

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maxsandis, Oct 26, 2015.

1. maxsandis macrumors member

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

3. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

This looks great.

Do you think it'd destroy the battery in the pen if it was constantly charging? Or is that some unfound paranoia of mine?

4. Macalway macrumors 68000

No, just ridiculous. So your not inane just stupid :D

(just kidding....obviously)

Then again, if the dock sucks maybe that would kill it.

Looks awesome.

5. hamiltonrwatch, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016

hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

Realizing this is an old thread, I thought I'd leave a comment about my, and others, experiences with Moxiware. (Spoiler Alert: they haven't been good) There have been multiple shipping dates mentioned on their web site for the Apple Pencil Charging Dock going back to October of 2015. To my knowledge, no one has received their charging dock yet. In mid-December, 2015 those that pre-ordered the "Cone-shaped" charger were informed that it wasn't going to ship at all. Granted they were given the options of a refund or switching to the cylinder shaped charger, but this was done well after the fact.

My multiple emails to the company never received a reply. My calls were routed to a cell phone voice mail which likewise, were not returned. This reeks of the same kind of ineptitude that crowd-funding serves up. Wait a bit longer for a legitimate company to offer something other than vaporware.

6. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

My cylinder unit was supposedly shipped over the weekend.

7. hamiltonrwatch, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016

hamiltonrwatch

As you're the only person I know who's ordered and actually received a shipping date from Moxiware, could you post some pics and your impressions of the device after it arrives? There's so little in the way of accessories for the pencil due to Apple's slow roll-out, it would be very helpful.

BTW, congratulations!:D

8. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Looks like a nice design. I have their magnetic sleeve for my pencil. You don't have to leave the pencil on the charger but it would be convenient on your desk at home when you did need to charge it. I always worry about losing the little adapter for the lightning cable that Apple supplies with the pencil. This would take that out of the equation anyway.

9. hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

10. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

Yes...mine just arrived (aluminium cylinder version). Will take a proper look later on and upload some pictures. It took a little while to arrive as I am in the UK, but it was just over a week which is fine for regular airmail.

11. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

Here are some pics
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2016 ---
    Overall the finish is pretty nice. I went for the "all metal" one as Apple "don't do" wood finished things although I was dithering over the wood version. The only complaint is that the cut out for the oval slot where the pencil inserts is hand finished and is not 100% uniform....looks a bit imperfect if you look closely.

Attached Files:

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

13. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

I am in the UK! Came via regular airmail. I think it "should" have attracted customs, because it was declared at 29.99, but it didn't luckily

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

15. hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

Thank you very much for the pictures & for your impressions. Just curious; is there any weight to the base or do you have to keep one hand on while removing the pencil?

I did notice that; my OCD nature would've picked it out straight away.:D

I like the concept but I'll pass on this one. I appreciate your posting as it helped immensely with my decision.

16. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

There is some weight to the stand so it wont get knocked over too easily...but you do have to hold the stand with one hand while removing the pencil otherwise the whole thing lifts up. Glad I helped with your decision making. I am also a bit OCD, but I prefer having this than not at all and you do have to look top-down and closely to see the oval slot is not perfect.

17. hamiltonrwatch, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

hamiltonrwatch

The finish on yours is at least uniform. A friend received theirs today and I finally had an opportunity to eyeball one up close. Hers had casting marks around the circumference and the opening for the adapter had been die-stamped crooked. I advised her to take some pictures, send them to their CS, get a return authorization number, and ship it back. I'm told QC affected Moxiware's roll-out for the pencil dock; thus the multiple shipping dates on their website. They also added this disclaimer recently: "Wood color may vary from images." That's almost always a red flag for production issues.

18. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

no adapter, no cable? what is the point really? Ok it looks nice, but give us something, don't be just greedy...

19. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Was thinking the same. If I am going to put a permanent charging stand for my pencil on my desk it better have its own cable. Not tying up one of my cables and bricks for just that.

20. hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

Although, I own a lot of Apple accessories and honestly can't think of any that came with a USB cable :confused: