Apple pencil charging through cases

Legacy40k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Has anybody had issues with charging the new apple pencil through a case that covers the sides or does it have to actually be touching the iPad body?

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
No experience with a case in the way, but I'd expect the magnetic attachment wouldn't be strong enough unless the case was very, very thin.

For what its worth, I just tried putting my tshirt between the ipad and pencil. To my surprise it actually had a weak magnetic hold, however, it did NOT charge (the screen didn't come on indicating the pencil was charging like it normally does). This is a medium weight shirt.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Has anybody had issues with charging the new apple pencil through a case that covers the sides or does it have to actually be touching the iPad body?
I have tried several cases supposedly made for the iPP 11” and not one of them have been capable of either charging OR pairing when the magnet is covered, no matter how thin the material. My advice - stay away.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I’m shocked nobody has made a case yet that allows you to clip the pencil without blocking the charging spot.
There are a few already. Some are copies on the Apple folio, others have side protection but a gap on the side just big enough for the Pencil to attach and charge to the iPad.

Reactions: dabotsonline

MasturB

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2014
There are a few already. Some are copies on the Apple folio, others have side protection but a gap on the side just big enough for the Pencil to attach and charge to the iPad.
Can you link some? Hard to navigate on Amazon.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
The problem with the Apple case, and those with the same form factor: i find the edges uncomfortably sharp to hold, AND they provide zero corner protection in the event of a drop. That is why I am waiting for a case that will enclose the perimeter of the iPP, but allow for an opening wide enough to accommodate pencil charging. Looking forward to see what UAG comes out with in the updated Metropolis case. I have used it for the past two years on my old iPP and love it. Pic above of the old case.

Last edited:

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
30B01E72-8FC4-4B3B-8D32-835623D87294.jpeg DB8AD8F6-4D86-48FD-AC48-C2F8D14DF6BD.jpeg 56599C38-EB64-4437-B3B1-0B8EF70E4AA2.jpeg 2CB69E8E-048E-456B-BC75-E40823450C2B.jpeg
Last night, I picked up the new UAG Metroplis from Best Buy for $89. Other than they only come in black? This might be my case. Right now BB has returns until January.... It does now support the pencil and charging.

It is a tight fit, you need to insert right side of iPad 1st, then the left. It has a LOT of viewing angles - that is why I returned the Apple folio since it would not go straight enough for me. The cover also detaches. But it is difficult to get back in - I ended up taking my iPad out and then snapping it back into the slot. Too afraid at how fragile the iPad might be.... LOL. The magnetic flap does cover the pencil, there is also the pencil holder on the side - not sure I will use it though. It’s not hard to use, I will just lay it on the cover below it or have it charging. But I use my pencil a lot.

It does say it’s drop tested... MIL STD 810G-516.6. The case that the iPad sits in, feels like a hard flexible rubber - seems pretty good and secure. Does not cover top nor bottom.... also the ports on the back are not covered.

I just watched a video on it as well, to check out the sound. Does not seem to affect it....

Reactions: laurenr

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
View attachment 805195 View attachment 805196 View attachment 805197 View attachment 805198
Last night, I picked up the new UAG Metroplis from Best Buy for $89. Other than they only come in black? This might be my case. Right now BB has returns until January.... It does now support the pencil and charging.

It is a tight fit, you need to insert right side of iPad 1st, then the left. It has a LOT of viewing angles - that is why I returned the Apple folio since it would not go straight enough for me. The cover also detaches. But it is difficult to get back in - I ended up taking my iPad out and then snapping it back into the slot. Too afraid at how fragile the iPad might be.... LOL. The magnetic flap does cover the pencil, there is also the pencil holder on the side - not sure I will use it though. It’s not hard to use, I will just lay it on the cover below it or have it charging. But I use my pencil a lot.

It does say it’s drop tested... MIL STD 810G-516.6. The case that the iPad sits in, feels like a hard flexible rubber - seems pretty good and secure. Does not cover top nor bottom.... also the ports on the back are not covered.

I just watched a video on it as well, to check out the sound. Does not seem to affect it....

I had this cover for my old 9.7” iPP and loved it. I was not aware that the new UAG case was out yet, the one that allows for Pencil charging.
Edit: i saw that it is now available on the Best Buy site. I will probably pick one up tomorrow, as they have a location down the road from me.

Last edited: