Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giangnguyen1208

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So I received the Apple Pencil a couple of days ago. I noticed that charging the Pencil with iPad lightning port is much faster than charging it with the adapter. I am curious on why is it possible? Intuitively, shouldn't be charging with the adapter faster than with the iPad? Maybe there is a preprogrammed mechanism in the iPad software that makes it pumping out more electricity through the lightning port when a Pencil is connected?

I feel very amused with this, so I hope someone can enlighten me on how pencil fast charge is possible. Thank you!

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I'm looking forward to an explanation. I have a 9.7 and I've noticed there's a dramatic difference. I still use the adaptor sometimes when it's more convenient.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Both the 12.9" and 9.7" iPad Pros will charge the Pencil quickly. You can also charge it with the Lightning port on your iPhone, but it charges more slowly.

Charging the Pencil with the adapter and a USB cable does not allow for fast charging.

(This is implicitly explained on the Apple support site.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.