Apple Pencil in Numbers update

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PeterJH3, Mar 30, 2018.

1. PeterJH3 macrumors 6502

Apple updated Pages, Numbers, and Keynote to have Apple Pencil support, but I'm having difficulty adjusting. I used to go into a Numbers spreadsheet and be able to scroll with Apple Pencil as a stylus if you will, but now, every time Pencil comes in contact with iPad Pro screen, it reacts/recognizes Pencil and switches to the writing format.

Does anyone else have this issue or does anyone know of a setting to adjust Pencil use within the iWork suite?

2. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

3. PeterJH3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I read thru several posts of others also having this issue. One stated they were able to turn off Smart Annotations and another thread stated it was not possible to do that. I submitted a ticket so we’ll see. I now have to focus on when to use my fingers and when to NOT use Apple Pencil anymore...really disappointed with the flow now.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Same frustration here! I heavily relied on my Apple Pencil to select cells, grab row/column borders, and scroll around in the spreadsheet. I’m nowhere near as accurate using my fingers to do that kind of stuff.

I left feedback over at apple.com/feedback, and I guess I’ll open a support ticket as well. Have you heard anything back from yours?

5. PeterJH3 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, not yet. It’s a big change from what I was used to on my iPad Pro for the last 9 months. <Sigh>

6. PeterJH3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I submitted another ticket on apple.com. I am so frustrated and wonder if anyone else knows how to turn off Pencil's use in iWork or if we just have to suffer with the update.

7. PeterJH3 thread starter macrumors 6502

FINALLY, in the latest update of the iWork suite, you can revert back to using Pencil to scroll and select things. Back to using Numbers again as I used to without issue. A+ for listening, Apple. ;)

551EF06C-1B51-4B8F-B498-BAEED8D79F76.jpeg
    9F9188B7-4428-471C-997A-0E9C971D6212.jpeg

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

AWESOME!!! And thanks for sharing, I hadn't had a chance to update yet!!!