Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

I have just noticed that the Apple Pencil keeps disconnecting from Bluetooth when plugged into the lightning port and charging. Immediately when I unplug the Apple Pencil it reconnects. The Pencil does not disconnect when drawing, it appears to only occur when charging and happens soon after plugging in.

The issue appears to have started occurring since updating to iOS 10 but I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any suggestions?

Thanks

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Isn't it supposed to do that? My beatsX turn off and disconnect when charging and I think the Magic Mouse too. Probably to discourage using while charging

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Isn't it supposed to do that? My beatsX turn off and disconnect when charging and I think the Magic Mouse too. Probably to discourage using while charging

The Apple Pencil doesn't charge unless it is connected to Bluetooth even if plugged in.

When plugging in the pencil, it shows the battery widget and Bluetooth icon top right corner. Within about 30 seconds of plugging in the pencil the widget disappears and the Bluetooth icon goes grey to indicate that it has disconnected. If I go to settings it shows Apple Pencil as disconnected.

It has never done this before and this is the first time charging the Apple Pencil since upgrading to iOS 10.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I'm on iOS 10 and just plugged my Apple Pencil in - it flashes the BT icon for a while but doesn't show a separate battery bar on the home screen

Actually i can't figure out where I'm supposed to see the battery level?

Edit: ok in the 'today' widget that i almost never look at.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I'm on iOS 10 and just plugged my Apple Pencil in - it flashes the BT icon for a while but doesn't show a separate battery bar on the home screen

Actually i can't figure out where I'm supposed to see the battery level?

Swipe from the top of the screen to go to notification centre then swipe across to see widgets. It should show battery status of the ipad, apple pencil and any other bluetooth devices that are currently connected. You can also access the widgets from the lock screen by swiping from left to right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.