Apple pencil not integrated into apps

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Martin29, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

I have a shiny new iPad Pro 12.9", and it came with an Apple Pencil which I anticipated would enable me to hand note documents created using IOS apps, including mail, pages, numbers etc..

Instead I find it works only in notes and messages.. Seems an incredibly expensive tool for something which apple themselves do not create compatible apps..

Does anyone here have apps they can recommend which make good use of the pencil?

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

Yeah unless you are into drawing and painting there isn't a whole lot of other options. Evernote and few others have support for Apple Pencil. If an App supports the drawing function you should be able to use the Pencil but I don't believe there will be a pressure sensitivity/response for darker and lighter strokes. If you can draw in Mail you can send a picture of a hand written note.

3. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

I actually think that a year after launch, this is disgraceful!

I want to be able to hand note documents, pdf files etc. Without signing up to some dodgy 3rd party cloud system to do it. Apple have sold these products but made no effort to incorporate them into their mainstream products.. And the 3rd party ones, unless it's for drawing, are frankly a joke

4. Planky macrumors regular

If you install the keyboard "Stylus" you can hand write in any app that uses a keyboard.

MyScript Stylus - Handwriting Keyboard by MyScript
    https://appsto.re/gb/yl_G3.i

5. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

Thank you. That's the first bit of good news as far as the pencil is concerned that I've seen.

I'm using Notepad+ on the iPad pro with the pencil, but it would be really good if I could use more apps, still believe Pages etc should be capable of working with both type and hand written text

6. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

I just got my iPad Pro today and I tested the pencil in OneNote and it works. That is my go to note taking app. I have a Surface Pro so OneNote support was a must have for me.