Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
I've been looking into buying an iPad P with the Apple Pencil to replace an old heavy thinkpad at work (Yes I know, a thinkpad...that's what we get at work). Anyhow, I've watched about a hundred review videos and can't find an answer to my question.

In the Apple Notes app, can you handwrite next to the checklist buttons? Secondly, can you add a checklist and do some handwriting (note taking) on the same a page?

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
I've been looking into buying an iPad P with the Apple Pencil to replace an old heavy thinkpad at work (Yes I know, a thinkpad...that's what we get at work). Anyhow, I've watched about a hundred review videos and can't find an answer to my question.

In the Apple Notes app, can you handwrite next to the checklist buttons? Secondly, can you add a checklist and do some handwriting (note taking) on the same a page?

Tell me how to add check boxes and I'll let you know. Lol

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Tell me how to add check boxes and I'll let you know. Lol

*Make sure to be in the "On My iPad" Note folder

1. Create new note
2. Click on the "plus" sign on top of your keyboard (on the screen)
3. Click on the circle icon (with a check mark in it)

Thanks

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I don't have a plus sign on my on-screen keyboard or a check mark inside a circle
in the notes app.

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
I don't have a plus sign on my on-screen keyboard or a check mark inside a circle
in the notes app.

You have to make sure you are

1. In the "On my iPad" folder
2. That predictive keyboard is activated (so I was told)

You should see the following (see attachments).

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    532 KB · Views: 92
  • image.png
    image.png
    551.1 KB · Views: 121

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
You can make a checklist and use keyboard to place check mark but you can not hand write on that same page, well you can but you can't see the page with type/checklist, it comes up blank with the writing tools across bottom.
There are other Notes apps that can do this though, both Notability and Goodnotes can show type and written on same page, ability to do both.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You can make a checklist and use keyboard to place check mark but you can not hand write on that same page, well you can but you can't see the page with type/checklist, it comes up blank with the writing tools across bottom.
There are other Notes apps that can do this though, both Notability and Goodnotes can show type and written on same page, ability to do both.
Agreed. GoodNotes, Notability and OneNote can do this.

OneNote probably has more text features than the other two.

Edit: lists in Apple's Notes app does not need to be done on the "on my iPad" notebook; it works just fine on iCloud-synced notebook, too.

Reactions: lg251

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
I've been using notability to import .PDF files and write on them for about two weeks now. I love the fact that I can file my notes and they sync across devices, so I always have them with me even if my iPad isn't present.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
OneNote is probably the best I've used so far for writing next to checkboxes.

But I only noticed because I'm still playing around finding Pencil apps. I still mainly just use the Apple Notes app even for my lists. Then I just draw a check mark next to the item, or score through it, just like I always did with pen and paper. Damn I'm old fashioned for some things :D

lg251

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Canada
Thank you all!

OneNote is probably the best I've used so far for writing next to checkboxes.

But I only noticed because I'm still playing around finding Pencil apps. I still mainly just use the Apple Notes app even for my lists. Then I just draw a check mark next to the item, or score through it, just like I always did with pen and paper. Damn I'm old fashioned for some things :D

I feel you, I'm still writing my notes in a book and handwriting little checkboxes next to things I have to do. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.