apple pencil pressure feels better than wacom

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by wetcanvas, Apr 4, 2016.

1. wetcanvas macrumors regular

I have been playing around with astropad. I also have a wacom cintiq companion hybrid as well as a second generation wacom cintiq 21ux. I cant help but feel impressed by the pressure feeling on the apple pencil in astropad. It feels and looks like there is either more pressure or the algorithm used is better than what wacom is using. Yes the pressure feels that smooth. I have done tests with my 21ux and astropad + apple pencil and I can get better variable line weight using the apple pencil. The cintiq is not as smooth transition on the line.

The cintiq still has some advantages. Like when you hover the pencil over the canvas without touching it you can see the size of the brush before applying it to the canvas. I realize atsropad isnt perfect. you have to get used to the delay with menu rendering and moving / rotating. I have got quite used to this though and I dont even notice it anymore. The better pressure feeling is worth it. I am on the ipad 9.7 inch pro and thinking of upgrading to the 13 just for the increased drawing space.

Im not convinced that just because wacom has been around the longest that they have the best pen technology. Or for the fact just because the pen doesnt have a battery it immediately makes it a superior technology. Anyone who has been with them knows about the bad parallax as well as the accuracy changing based on the angle of the pencil held. They have always and still do have issues where its more accurate at the center of the screen with accuracy getting worse around the edges due to the magnetic technology used. There is serious faults with wacom when you get to know the hardware intimately.

edit oops please move to apple accessories forum

2. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

More or less my experience as well. The thing about Wacom products that always used to irk me was the parallax. iPad Pro just runs laps around Wacom in so many ways. People might prefer the physical controls on Cintiq, or the buttons on the Wacom stylus, but neither is a deal breaker for me, in fact the latter is one area where I definitely prefer the Apple Pencil. I always accidentally clicked those buttons and it would drive me crazy. I love the feel of the Pencil in the hand, knowing I don't have to worry how I hold it. Come to think of it, I never used the eraser on the Wacom either...

3. wetcanvas thread starter macrumors regular

Without the physical controls you reduce the size while keeping all your screen space making it lighter though. Besides there are software button toolbars you can have. I like that tradeoff. I always hated my wacom pen buttons like you I always hit them accidentally.

4. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I can appreciate the physical controls for when you are working, you don't have to keep glancing over to the side, but it really isn't a huge deal for me.