Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
i know, I know... not another “poor battery” life thread, except this one I think is legitimately a problem. I just got a new iPad Pro 10.5 (absolutely love) and of course the keyboard and the Apple Pencil. The thing is that the Pencil drains very quickly. It’s brand new. Yet, it seems to really plunge pretty quickly. Charges increasingly quickly too, but still.

About two hours ago it was charged to 100% and placed back in the case. Now it’s down to 86%. I have not used the Pencil once since it was charged. It’s simply sitting there next to the iPad. I realize the are constantly connected via Bluetooth, but still... the drain seems excessive.

Do I have a defective Pencil and should exchange it or is this normal?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
That’s a lot of drain in 2 hours if you’re not using it at all. I’d take it to an Apple store.

Reactions: iMi

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I agree that does sound like a lot of drainage so you may have a defective unit.

I will say though that the pencil will drain battery even while idle (my experience has been ~10% per day) since it is always on. The sensors for motion and tilt are always running, even if the pencil is just sitting there. I’ve also found the battery drains faster if I’m carrying it in a bag. I’m guessing all the motion from me walking causes the pencil to think it’s about to be used and it powers the pressure sensor as well.

Of course, Apple could have prevented this whole issue by including a freaking on/off switch on the pencil, but that would have been too sensible. The pencil is just an all around poorly designed accessory. There no way to attach it to the iPad, no way to store it conveniently, and charging it is incredibly awkward. The fact the battery drains while the pencil is idle is the worst part though. Here’s hoping pencil 2 will address these shortcomings!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
As a battery powered device it‘s ok to expect it to use some charge along the way, but 10% per hour or so sounds drastic. Restart the iPad and test again, then check with Apple if the issue is considered normal.

Risonanza78

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2015
I have same issue, bifore iPad pro9,7 non 10,5 i can see a drastic drain battery of my pencil

helitech

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
I’m experiencing an even more drastic drain from my pencil straight out of the box. Might have to go bug apple for a replacement. Curious to see what the Genius Bar says...

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
i know, I know... not another “poor battery” life thread, except this one I think is legitimately a problem. I just got a new iPad Pro 10.5 (absolutely love) and of course the keyboard and the Apple Pencil. The thing is that the Pencil drains very quickly. It’s brand new. Yet, it seems to really plunge pretty quickly. Charges increasingly quickly too, but still.

About two hours ago it was charged to 100% and placed back in the case. Now it’s down to 86%. I have not used the Pencil once since it was charged. It’s simply sitting there next to the iPad. I realize the are constantly connected via Bluetooth, but still... the drain seems excessive.

Why does the Apple Pencil even have a battery when the S-Pen does more and has no battery? Not sure I get that. I sold my Apple pen months ago after I kept having to recharge it, even when I hadn't been using it. Pull it out of the bag, and it doesn't work (sometimes the battery, sometimes it has unpaired). Frustrating when you want to use it on the fly.

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I've been waiting to see what happens. The battery drain is inconsistent. At times the charge lasts a long time. But then suddenly it will drain like a rusty bucket full of holes. I'll try to observe the conditions when that happens.

Not sure yet, but I am thinking it's movement that is killing the battery. Does the Pencil actually turn off when it isn't sensing any movement? Could that be the case?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Where can i find the battery charge level on Apple pencil?

Charge via cable or placing in iPad lightning port.

strawberryshortcake

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2017
Bay Area, California
Where can i find the battery charge level on Apple pencil?

Charge via cable or placing in iPad lightning port.

Both, and a third where you simply have the pencil connected via bluetooth.

1. Pair your apple pencil with the ipad.
2. Scroll right to get to your "widget" screen (or whatever it's called; the furthest screen to the left)
3. Find the "edit" button at the very bottom
4. Add widget >> + batteries

Please turn off your bluetooth (or disconnect your pencil) when the apple pencil is not in use. When tethered to bluetooth constant movement will drain the apple pencil's battery.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
It’s interesting to me... I use my pencil for hours a day and just have to charge it once a day, so it doesnt feel like a big deal. But I guess if you don’t use it much and still have to charge it regularly, it would feel like a bigger deal.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Two hours, down 20%. Charging by using the iPad is much faster than using cable directly to the pen.

I’m getting a pen charger Tuesday- not totally liking using the iPad for charging or slow charging. Wireless charging option is on my wish list for 2018 model.

califfo1975

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Dear all
How does your iPad10.5 battery behave when using continuously the pencil to write notes? On mine, When making annotations on pdf of goodreader it may drain as much as 1% / 2min despite my battery life is usually amazing
Thanks for your feedback
Cheers

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Sorry to bump an old thread, but to check, are you carrying your pencil with your iPad, say via a case with a built-in holder?

I am currently doing that and while it has been extremely convenient, the drawback is that the pencil is apparently left constantly on and thus continually draining, so I find myself having to recharge every day.

Reactions: iMi

iMi

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Sorry to bump an old thread, but to check, are you carrying your pencil with your iPad, say via a case with a built-in holder?

I am currently doing that and while it has been extremely convenient, the drawback is that the pencil is apparently left constantly on and thus continually draining, so I find myself having to recharge every day.

That is exactly what's happening here, too.

I believe the pencil activates by motion. When attached to the case, it's constantly on and draining battery. When I leave it on the desk in the office, it lasts much, much longer. Mystery solved :D

strawberryshortcake

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2017
Bay Area, California
Did a little experiment with the apple pencil battery.

The key is to tap "forget this device." Might as well turn off the bluetooth as well. But "forget this device" is important to preserve the battery on the pencil. Yes, it's an added step and a hassle, but it must be done.

I believe the pencil activates by motion. When attached to the case, it's constantly on and draining battery. When I leave it on the desk in the office, it lasts much, much longer. Mystery solved :D

Reactions: x.marX and max2

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

It has an accelerometer (Bosch Sensortech BMA280) built into it that detects the motion.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I wish I could turn off the Pencil if it is not in use (which is most of the time).

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Why does the Apple Pencil even have a battery when the S-Pen does more and has no battery? Not sure I get that. I sold my Apple pen months ago after I kept having to recharge it, even when I hadn't been using it. Pull it out of the bag, and it doesn't work (sometimes the battery, sometimes it has unpaired). Frustrating when you want to use it on the fly.

You either haven't used the Apple pencil or the S-pen if you think those 2 are in the same league.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.