Apple Pencil with new MacBook Pro Touchpad!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, May 31, 2016.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

How cool would this be?

I think there is a reason they didn't call it a "Mac" Pencil, or iPencil, or pair it with the iPad.... they want it to work across all devices... and I could see it being able to be used on the new touchpad that MacBook Pros are going to have! The capabilities of a drawing tablet, built into the MacBook Pro! Wow!

Who else thinks so?

2. CE3 macrumors 6502a

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I think it's highly unlikely to be honest a trackpad is just too small to make that a good option for graphics tablet replacement.

4. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I'm kind of expecting some kind of official integration between the iPad Pro and Mac OS so you can use the iPad Pro and Pencil as a tool on the Mac. Something more official over what the Astropad app gives.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The Pencil has a lightning connector, so it's pretty clearly meant for use on iPads and possibly a future iPhone Pro 5.5". This has nothing to do with moving away from the i in product names, or that Apple might've had to pay a trademark fee to use the name iPencil.

As mentioned, the MacBook trackpad is too small to be a real substitute for a dedicated drawing tablet.

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I think there are some interesting ideas here!

Official iPad Pro integration would be pretty sweet and interesting, Astropad suits most people perfectly but I could see an even more integrated experience kicking ass and earning the iPad Pro it's Pro name!

8. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Personally I do think it'd be pretty cool and I can see Apple integrating this somehow. They do want to sell as many pencils as they can, after all, and I can see this being useful. Different than how it's useful on the iPad Pro, but useful nonetheless. If I ever buy a pencil, it'd definitely be for use on the iPad first and foremost, but it'd definitely be cool to have it work with my other devices too.