Apple Pencill Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by fyun89, Nov 1, 2016.

1. fyun89 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace it? I've been using this quite extensively and feeling that the battery is slowly deteriorating.

(sorry about the typo... typing with iPad is hard)

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I believe it's a throw-away item. the iFixit teardown showed everything tightly packed and glued (as you'd expect given the small space inside the barrel). So you'd be looking at $99.

3. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol you've got to be kidding me right...

4. chabig macrumors 68040

5. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are correct. They dont have that service.. I just contacted them.

Kind of pathetic... I means You cannot even turn the thing off to properly maintain the battery. Draining the battery is never a good thing.. And this thing isnt cheap too.. Apple and the "planned obsolences"...

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Definitely not cheap to replace a $100.00 Pencil.

7. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

This

Attached Files:

8. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hahaha...

They ended up giving me a replacement as it was draining much faster than before.. But this wont last another year either.. I think..

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Is this an objective observation or just another one of those gut feels?

10. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I use my Pencil at least 6 hours a day. It has been my single writing tool. It started to suddenly barely last me a day. Before it gave me almost two days. So its a bit more than gut feeling.

Besides, being technically inclined, I always use my electronic's battery only up to 40% and recharge to maintain good health. With Apple Pencil, maintenance is very hard. Fast battery degradation is bound to happen...

11. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

I use my Apple Pencil a lot and I know your struggle.

On the other hand, if this device have a lifetime of 2 years, I am fine. 50 bucks per year for a pen with digital paper and no stress.

I hope we see a black version of this great pen!

Attached Files:

12. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Completely agree with you... 50 bucks makes sense.. 100..? Hopefully this was just an early bird tax...

I would love the jet black one too :)

Have you exchanged yours? If you suddenly notice it, definitely take advantage of the warranty.. Exchange process was so smooth that it all seemed to be planned out..

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Apple products typically don't need such babying. I charge my Apple Pencil as and when I feel the need to. Consistently lasts me about 4-5 days per charge, though I average about 2-4 hours a day. I think the whole idea is to just use it, trust the software to manage your battery levels for you and not have to worry about when or how to charge the pencil.

14. fyun89 thread starter macrumors 6502

I semi agree with you that the Apple products dont need much babying; compared to other brands.

With batteries however it has been historically (at least from what I saw last 20 years of owning iPods to today's Apple Pencil) shown that Apple had been using so called "planned obsolences" game with battery..

Batteries do have technical problem with cycles as well. If Apple really wanted to overcome that limitation, they shouldve allowed us to change battery or turn it off so that we dont waste battery cycle..

It wouldnt have compromised design nor usage.

15. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If it's within a year they'll probably replace it anyway. Don't think they even have a way to test the battery remaining on it!

16. runner77 macrumors member

Depending on the country you live, they will either replace it within 1 year or 2 years of purchase if the battery deteoriates that much.

17. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

I guess it's okay to buy a pen ever two years. It's not a montblanc pen. I save so much paper and time. It's okay to buy a new one if it's time to say good bye :).

I hope for a new black apple pen! <3