Apple Performa 550 manufacture date earlier then introduction date

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by programmer6502, May 19, 2014.

1. programmer6502 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an Apple Performa 550 that I've wanted to sale. I know they're not worth much but I was looking at the specs online and noticed something. The introduction dates on multiple sources for the 550 say October 1993. Here's the thing, my Performa 550 says (September) 1993! Does this mean anything? Is mine rare?

I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, I just don't want to miss a good opportunity!

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Sadly, it means nothing. Machines are often manufactured ahead of their release date to allow shipping times thru the retail channel.

Of course, it does mean you should have one of the earliest models sold, but that doesn't make it rare. :(

3. programmer6502 thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense. Well thanks, I really appreciate it! :)

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

What MacTech68 says. Obviously, if a company wants to actually sell a product on the day it is introduced, they need to have been making them for a while before that date.

Even now, Apple often updates a Mac model, and in the press release says "available today." They can't have just started manufacturing it that day!

As an example, I have a "full production" original Macintosh with a manufacture date of early December 1983.

5. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Tomorrow's news .. Today! Has to happen first, before you can read about it.

It's also possible that in cases where those models used the same chassis, you could be getting something that was made outside of the product offering dates. The 550 is the same as the 520, save for the motherboard stuck in it, and of course, the nameplate.

6. programmer6502 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this all really makes sense. Thanks for the help guys! Now I can identify this in the future with other computers. :)