Apple performing Mac migration - anything to do beforehand?

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
My local Apple Store has offered to perform a migration from my current 2011 MBP to a new 2015 MBP. My current Mac is routinely backed up to my time capsule. Is there anything else that needs to be done before they perform the migration? Is there anything I should be worried about (maybe personal identifying information) during the migration?

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
All I did was a backup to my Time Capsule drive. I then took in my Mac Mini and new MacBook into the Apple Store. I didn't really worry about the information. I would think Apple being who they are and their employees are pretty reputable. Plus mine was done in under 45 minutes after which I was able to go pick both computers up.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
All I did was a backup to my Time Capsule drive. I then took in my Mac Mini and new MacBook into the Apple Store. I didn't really worry about the information. I would think Apple being who they are and their employees are pretty reputable. Plus mine was done in under 45 minutes after which I was able to go pick both computers up.
Thank you Mr. C. In my case I'll be giving them my 2011 MBP to keep (they damaged it and offered a 2015 as a replacement in lieu of fixing it). So I only have one shot at this. Are they able to transfer over programs or just files?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you Mr. C. In my case I'll be giving them my 2011 MBP to keep (they damaged it and offered a 2015 as a replacement in lieu of fixing it). So I only have one shot at this. Are they able to transfer over programs or just files?
It will mover everything including applications. The only issue you may have is some apps like Adobe apps and MS Office will require you to reenter the registration information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.