Apple Pippen 2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thewireman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

Sorry if this was already taken place, but now Apple is taking over the market :rolleyes: does anybody think they might make some gaming machine?

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Yes. The iPhone.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

OH GOD! Where was I? I bought the iPhone on the day it came out and its Pippen 2? Its so tiny compared the first pippen...Hmmm

5. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

I see....:eek:

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh my gosh! Technology shrinks! That's why my MacBook Pro isn't the size of the Cray 1!

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

do a search, its just not gonna happen man

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Because you know, when products replace other products, they always keep the same name, look and size. That's why the Wii is not really the Wii, but the NES 5.

The iPhone is a very viable platform for mobile gaming programmers. There's not a plethora of games available at the moment, but I think you'll see it eventually. So to answer your original question: No, they will not make a Pippen 2 and I think the idea is laughable personally. However, the iPhone should not be disregarded as a gaming platform.

9. TSE macrumors 68030

Yea the iPhone actually does have decent hardware for a mobile platform gaming device, but I doubt it will ever make it as a mobile platform because who in their own right mind would spend $200 and then be under a huge contract for 2 years to play games?

That experiment with cellphone and gaming has already happened, it was called the N-Gage, it failed. Maybe if Apple does it right, the iPod Touch could work out.

What I COULD see Apple doing is teaming up with either Sony or Nintendo and have a system that is partially made by Apple and Nintendo/Sony.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

The Cray did have much better battery life though. I do admit though, it was murder on the knees...

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Please, do tell me why apple would do this?

I don't know the current percentage of marketshare but I do belive it's the 360 and Wii upfront and PS3 and PS2 not far behind, apple might be a bit silly to enter a market that finds it ok to make a loss on console sales for the first 2 years and that's also already found the clear market leaders...

Maybe when the 360 and PS3 go below the $100 mark then they could be the first to enter, but seriously, I don't see why they should bother, if it aint broke, don't fix it...

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This is just a silly thought. I don't know why you'd want Apple to compete with true gaming systems. The iPhone and iPod touch work as gaming systems because of convenience. If you already own one, you may as well have some games. However, to really compete against Nintendo, Sony, and MS is silly. They can't really add anything to the market besides yet another gaming platform, and quite frankly, the gaming console market only feels big enough for 2 dominant platforms. It's already quite strained with 3 platforms, what with the amount of time, and games, required for these companies to make a profit larger enough to make the effort of producing games and developing systems worth it.

I like things the way they are now. The last thing we need now is another Neo Geo or something.