Apple placing debit hold?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nateharr, Mar 8, 2012.

1. nateharr macrumors 6502

Okay, so yesterday I attempted to order a 64GB White AT&T iPad. The price with tax was $887.03.

I wanted to split the payment between my debit card and a credit card ($287.03 on the debit and $600 on the credit card) to make things a bit easier on myself when paying it off. (I'm a college student and this was to be a very big purchase for me. :D)

Anyway, for some reason my credit card wasn't approved for the transaction. I believe this is because my final payment to make my balance $0 hadn't yet cleared.

I wasn't too upset about this and planned to wait until everything was processed to attempt to order again. But now it seems Apple has taken the $287.03 out of my debit account even though I was immediately informed that the order was not possible.

This hold has carried over to today and I'm still out almost $300 for a failed order for a product that isn't even shippable yet. I was led to believe that I wouldn't have been charged until the iPad shipped next Thursday. (I was willing to pay for it yesterday in full anyway, but I still feel misled.)

Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue? How long before the transaction is no longer pending on my account and the money is returned? I can't order an iPad until this is sorted out, and I hear the model I want is already in short supply. :(

2. Primus Sucks macrumors newbie

do you have an order #?

what is your order status?

you can cancel an order if it is processing.

if all else fails all apple 1800myapple

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

In my experience it is normal for them to place a hold on a credit card.

Amount of purchase + estimated tax.

It's just a hold, the actual transaction won't process until it ships.

4. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's my problem. There was no order in the first place.

The order failed. No confirmation. No order number. Just a (hopefully temporary) deficit of $287.

5. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

Yeah, that's a pre-auth hold. It will take a few days to fall off. And yes, this practice sucks.

6. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i pre ordered one yesterday on my debit card which has yet to be charged

i do have a confirmation number

7. ragermac macrumors regular

Yes, Apple has done it to me. 1,200 bucks. yikes!!

I have enough to cover but it just sucks to see it taken out so soon even after the rep said they will not do it on debit cards. :mad:

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It is completely normal, they usually do a temporary charge to make sure there is enough money in the account to pay for the item(s), which usually clears in a few days. The real charge is done at the time the item is shipped.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The rep misled you as my debit card was charged the entire near $900 on completion of my order. It is the way Apple must do it.

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

The holds will last 5-10 days depending on your bank and the debit/credit card processor. This applies to credit cards as well as debit cards (except the debit cards "hurt" more if you cancelled or if the order failed because your cash is tied up). The length of the hold has nothing to do with Apple but your card provider and bank. In the old days you could get on the phone with the merchant and the bank and have them remove the hold. Don't think that works anymore.

In either case you are NOT actually being charged but it is basically the same thing as being charged because it reduces your available cash or credit line.

If the shipment was 3 weeks from now you would see the hold drop off then come back again after it was shipped but since it is being shipped in a few days (unless you canceled the order) it will look like you were charged on day 1.