Apple Placing Orders for Tablet Components? Connectors, 10-Inch Screen

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Taiwan's Economic Daily paper claims that Cheng Uei Precision Industry has received an order for "connectors" for Apple's new Tablet PCs. According to the report the company is likely to begin shipping in the 3rd quarter of 2010.

Meanwhile Digitimes reports that Innolux, a panel-making subsidiary of Foxconn, will be the supplier for the touch panels in Apple's Tablet PC. The screen size is said to be 10-inches for the rumored device.

These reports add to the increasing number of rumors about Apple's upcoming Tablet. Just last week, Apple was said to be planning a late January media event to launch the device which would ship later in 2010. Even more recently have been discoveries that Apple has trademarked the "iSlate" name presumably as a possible name for the device.

Article Link: Apple Placing Orders for Tablet Components? Connectors, 10-Inch Screen

adamw

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
Waiting expectantly for this device. Sounds more and more like we will have an actual product announced soon from Apple!

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
I was hoping it`d be 7-inch. But I`ll take 10-inch without any complaints either. Just release it apple :D

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I want one but I'd also like to know it's cababilities. Is it just an iPhone with a bigger screen?

Guess we just have to wait until Jan 27th for more info

idmc

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Devon, UK
:p - - and to think that my attention has been somewhat veering to netbook form factor type products ! no, seriously DESPITE already owning an Air + iPhone, if this thing is 'right' and is powerful enough and displays correctly including the 'correct' UI then we could be looking at another market changer... agreed ?

Bonte

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I want one but I'd also like to know it's cababilities. Is it just an iPhone with a bigger screen?
Nothing wrong with the iphone OS, specialized apps make it more usable than regular osX. 10" is a bit big though, i'm hoping for a smaller device.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Connectors eh? i wonder if this is supposed to be a tablet... that can connect to a keyboard as a laptop... that can also be used as a desktop, when hooked up w/ displayport, etc... interesting......

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
I look forward to seeing an Apple tablet finally hit the market, although iPhone OS on it will be a massive fail and opportunity missed imho.

Also, I'll be curious to see 6 months down the line what sort of problems have been reported with the 1st gen.

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
Connectors eh? i wonder if this is supposed to be a tablet... that can connect to a keyboard as a laptop... that can also be used as a desktop, when hooked up w/ displayport, etc... interesting......
Connectors in this context probably refers to the proprietary internal interconnecting ribbon cables between screen and logic board, buttons and logic board etc found within laptops and PDAs rather than the external types you're thinking of.

EDIT: of which Foxconn and their associated companies have been suppliers to Apple for decades.

2nd EDIT: that said I have no idea who Cheng Uei Precision Industry are so you may very well be right. Your guess is as good as mine :)

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Fact is that it will run OS 4.0 – why else ask iPhone developers to work on full screen support – and include a touch screen. Think about it... more revenue for the iTunes store.

I do wonder how Apple is going to protect the back from scratching. And price is everything, but knowing Apple... we are most likely going to have to pay too much for it... just because it is new and hot. And has an Apple logo on it.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Nothing wrong with the iphone OS, specialized apps make it more usable than regular osX. 10" is a bit big though, i'm hoping for a smaller device.
Well yes I do love the iPhone OS.. I develop for it. But still it has some limitations.

I'm not really interested in just a bigger iphone. I would like to be able to run multiple iphone applications side by side. So maybe for each application have a choice of running it full screen or iphone size, and then be able to pop up two apps together, eg a calendar and and e-mail.

They have to make this function different from the iphone otherwise people will be choosing between the two, and I bet Apple really want people to buy both.

---Zed

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
I would buy the tablet if it looked like that. Or if it had a variety of mac OS X. I don't need another iPhone OS device.
Despite the predicted giant iPod Touch, I imagine that the new tablet will be sporting a more capable, multi-tasking evolution of OS X, complete with new features such as tactile feedback, handwriting recognition, and integrated voice navigation.

29 days, and counting.

creator003

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
HK
I would buy the tablet if it looked like that. Or if it had a variety of mac OS X. I don't need another iPhone OS device.
Agree. If the tablet is accompanied with an iphone OS,
what do people expect it to perform??? Someone else can do what ISLATE could by his phone.:confused:

drpellypo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Northumberland, UK
I think we can safely say Apple are going to be releasing a tablet/slate/touchscreen device, surely? I think we have gone past the rumour mill as there's so much evidence to back up claims. Kinda. lol.

I am presently typing this on a MBP which cost me £1,300 and I'm looking at it thinking, what do I use this thing for? The answer is basically to go on the internet. I think I have opened word twice in all the time I've had it. Oh, and photoshop for messing with family pics. And watching films.

With this in mind it strikes me that a tablet would be absolutely perfect for me. I could sell the MBP for hopefully the same price as a new tablet. I wonder how many other people are in this boat? I mean, what percentage of people who have desktops/expensive mac laptops actually use them to their full potential? Or is it more the fact that people simply use them as glorified web browsers? Google Chrome OS is a classic example of big tech companies recognising this also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.