Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

International Day of Yoga takes place on Monday, June 21, and Apple is celebrating with a new Activity Challenge that will let Apple Watch users earn a new yoga badge and a set of animated yoga stickers.

16x9-badge-yoga-day-2021.jpg
Earn this award inspired by the International Day of Yoga. On June 21, do a yoga workout of 20 minutes or more. Record your time with any app that adds workouts to Health.
To earn the award, Apple Watch users will need to complete a yoga workout that lasts for 20 minutes or more on June 21. The award for completing the challenge looks similar to the award provided for past Yoga Day challenges, and there are several sticker options for various yoga poses like tree pose, crow pose, and warrior 2 to side angle.

yoga_day_2021_2.gif

yoga_day_2021_4.gif

yoga_day_2021_3.gif

yoga_day_2021_1.gif

Apple holds Activity Challenges for various holidays and events throughout the year, and began offering awards for International Day of Yoga in 2019.

Any yoga workout will fulfill the requirement, so long as you select the yoga workout type from the Workout app on the Apple Watch or use an app that adds yoga workouts to the Health app. Apple's Fitness+ service, available for $9.99 per month, offers built-in yoga workouts that you can do.

Article Link: Apple Planning Activity Challenge for International Day of Yoga on June 21

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I will declare "dishwashing" as "Yoga" for me. This is calming as well and a joy, if I see the shiny things laying around.
I once did Yoga for 2 minutes. It was not meant for me ?
That's nowhere near enough time to wrap your head around it and know whether yoga is for you. The first time I did yoga I thought it was ridiculous. But by now, I've been doing it for over ten years.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
That's nowhere near enough time to wrap your head around it and know whether yoga is for you. The first time I did yoga I thought it was ridiculous. But by now, I've been doing it for over ten years.
Not ridiculous - I might do it in a different way, reflecting things I have done, I am about to do, in a philosophic way, my own way, while dishwashing maybe... :)

Reactions: 5105973

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Looks like I'm going to do yoga for the first time of my life

First time doing Yoga here as well.

I did some yoga (not very well!) for the first time ever with Apple Fitness+.

I think I enjoyed it overall… Some of the positions where you have your head down weren’t the most pleasant things to do, but a lot of it made me notice tense parts of my body and afterwards it gave me a chill/calm mood and I felt I’d accomplished something probably good for me.

The trainers (for all activities, not just yoga) on Apple Fitness+ are so encouraging and positive. This aspect keeps me returning to the service when I can, because it feels like a nice place to be with supportive people.

I also really like the mindful cooldowns you get a prompt for after completing a session.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I will declare "dishwashing" as "Yoga" for me. This is calming as well and a joy, if I see the shiny things laying around.
I once did Yoga for 2 minutes. It was not meant for me ?

Just like any other exercise. Yoga takes time to get used to. It'll be uncomfortable and maybe even hurt some at first. Not only because your body isn't used to it. Also because you aren't getting the positions right. Although you can watch videos or others. It can mean just a slight difference in position from it hurting or pinching to feeling relaxing.

I'm not a huge yoga enthusiast but do it some. Mainly to keep flexible and maintain good balance. Leaving strength to basic calisthenics.

About the quickest way I've found to help my back heal when I throw it out. I'll do a routine ten or more times a day mixed with light back exercises. Making it manageable to get around until my back heals. Without a bunch of pain pills. As the worst thing is keeping your back stiff when healing. That just makes it take longer and hurt more.

Although when it comes down to it. I don't think it matters what exercise people do. Just as long as they do something.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I did it last year. It was my very first time and that was the longest 20 minutes of my life. But surprisingly, I felt good after. I will try again. If you have an easy YouTube video for people that can’t touch there feet, that would be nice to share. Thanks!

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
I did it last year. It was my very first time and that was the longest 20 minutes of my life. But surprisingly, I felt good after. I will try again. If you have an easy YouTube video for people that can’t touch there feet, that would be nice to share. Thanks!

Anything that's focused on hamstrings would be good for that. I highly recommend Yoga with Adriene for beginners, she has some great simple routines that are gentle but still a good stretch.

Edit: For those of you who want this challenge but are totally new to yoga, any of Adriene's beginner stuff is really nice, and about the right length!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Gonna have to remind myself to do a 25 minute session on Peloton, because those always seem to upload about 3 seconds shy of their claimed length.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Anything that's focused on hamstrings would be good for that. I highly recommend Yoga with Adriene for beginners, she has some great simple routines that are gentle but still a good stretch.

Edit: For those of you who want this challenge but are totally new to yoga, any of Adriene's beginner stuff is really nice, and about the right length!

Big fan of Adriene's videos!!

Actually it's Apple Watch that got me into seriously trying Yoga, and Adriene.. It has added a lot to my life. Just general more mindfulness, coordination, balance, reaction times, has bettered my running. Definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't given it a fair shot.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Big fan of Adriene's videos!!

Actually it's Apple Watch that got me into seriously trying Yoga, and Adriene.. It has added a lot to my life. Just general more mindfulness, coordination, balance, reaction times, has bettered my running. Definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't given it a fair shot.

Same for me! I started with Adriene a couple years ago and now I do an hour+ of yoga a day.

• Wow
Reactions: Regbial

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don't have anywhere near the flexibility for Yoga. It would be like watching a pretzel stretch. :D
Flexibility isn’t a problem. But I’ve got a bad knee so what that lady is doing on the video where she’s got her knees on the mat actually landed me stuck in bed for a day and then with a brace and Icy Hot for two weeks. Even my good knee didn’t like that. My mom has osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and I suspect I’m getting the beginnings of it. Then there’s a hiatal hernia that makes bending down even to pick things up or tie my shoes an agony. It’s a bit unpredictable as to when it will cause eye watering pain. I can be surprisingly active and be fine and then end up in horrible pain filling my pets water bowls. Or not. I just never know. Still I intend to get an exercise regimen figured out somehow.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Flexibility isn’t a problem. But I’ve got a bad knee so what that lady is doing on the video where she’s got her knees on the mat actually landed me stuck in bed for a day and then with a brace and Icy Hot for two weeks. Even my good knee didn’t like that. My mom has osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and I suspect I’m getting the beginnings of it. Then there’s a hiatal hernia that makes bending down even to pick things up or tie my shoes an agony. It’s a bit unpredictable as to when it will cause eye watering pain. I can be surprisingly active and be fine and then end up in horrible pain filling my pets water bowls. Or not. I just never know. Still I intend to get an exercise regimen figured out somehow.
That’s the spirit, GM. Kick pain to the curb. :D

Reactions: 5105973

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I did some yoga (not very well!) for the first time ever with Apple Fitness+.

I think I enjoyed it overall… Some of the positions where you have your head down weren’t the most pleasant things to do, but a lot of it made me notice tense parts of my body and afterwards it gave me a chill/calm mood and I felt I’d accomplished something probably good for me.

The trainers (for all activities, not just yoga) on Apple Fitness+ are so encouraging and positive. This aspect keeps me returning to the service when I can, because it feels like a nice place to be with supportive people.

I also really like the mindful cooldowns you get a prompt for after completing a session.
For those doing it for the first time, there are actually 2 Yoga workouts in the "beginners" collection, 1 10-minute & 1 20-minute.

I've actually found doing a 10-minute yoga session (very poorly, at that ... I'm horribly inflexible) prior to starting any other workouts (core, strength, HIIT) has actually helped a lot. I look at it this way: Yoga involved a LOT of core-exercises, an a strong core is pretty key for everything, so it's a win-win.

I may "cheat" and bend knees a little more than most ... or use blocks ... but according to the trainers, that's not cheating at all. I won't say there aren't times I'm not frustrated because I cannot keep up, but there's some very slow improvement.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
For those doing it for the first time, there are actually 2 Yoga workouts in the "beginners" collection, 1 10-minute & 1 20-minute.

I've actually found doing a 10-minute yoga session (very poorly, at that ... I'm horribly inflexible) prior to starting any other workouts (core, strength, HIIT) has actually helped a lot. I look at it this way: Yoga involved a LOT of core-exercises, an a strong core is pretty key for everything, so it's a win-win.

I may "cheat" and bend knees a little more than most ... or use blocks ... but according to the trainers, that's not cheating at all. I won't say there aren't times I'm not frustrated because I cannot keep up, but there's some very slow improvement.

You do what feels comfortable. You'll build up to the posture the trainer uses if you keep at it. Maybe do the full pose the first set. Then your modified poses the remaining sets. Until you can do all sets in the full pose.

You do have to push yourself some so don't get too comfortable. As fatigue is a mental game as much as it is physical. You just don't want to hurt yourself. Some stretches need to go a bit beyond comfort and held to get those tendons stretched. You just have to know when your mind is saying no or your body is saying no really, stop.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
You do what feels comfortable. You'll build up to the posture the trainer uses if you keep at it. Maybe do the full pose the first set. Then your modified poses the remaining sets. Until you can do all sets in the full pose.

You do have to push yourself some so don't get too comfortable. As fatigue is a mental game as much as it is physical. You just don't want to hurt yourself. Some stretches need to go a bit beyond comfort and held to get those tendons stretched. You just have to know when your mind is saying no or your body is saying no really, stop.
100%. I just have 0 flexibility. Even when I weighed 102 lbs, I still couldn't touch my toes.

I'll get there, it's just gonna take time. And I 100% appreciate the modifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.