Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Have you ever used a larger monitor?

It's fine, for me it's just like using a smaller iphone again after having a 6 plus though. Or tv

Yes, I have a 5K iMac Retina. I have an iPhone 6 Plus as well, and I'm not even packing my iPad Air for an upcoming trip.
Small is beautiful, or at least less weight to carry.

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
I, myself, don't like 16:9 monitors when working. They might be great for movies and games... but for writing, coding and Photoshop they just feel cramped. No matter what size. I'm happy that Apple has kept 16:10 on their Pro laptops and 13" air. But for how long... From PC makers it is VERY difficult to find a laptop with 16:10 ratio. My second display is 1900x1200 24" IPS display and it is just perfect for my use. That with retina reso would be great (4,5k). Shame that Apple has abandoned this most (imo) useful display size for good.. 24" 4,5k iMac... Now that would be interesting.

I really hope that Apple doesn't start making shoes...

Last edited:
Reactions: hkoster1

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The puzzling thing is that Microsoft are able to get up on stage.

Rule the world (and we know that's true) when it comes to business, and being taken serious as a brand, and also talk about Xbox without fear of not being taken seriously.

It's a shame Apple cannot be so confident.

Why should Apple care? You're not going to get serious gaming out of Apple. There's rumors of an ATV4 playing casual games, so there's that. Apple wants to appeal to the masses, not the minority.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I can only assume that Apple is so desperate to try and stop looking like a silly fashion brand that no one in business REALLY takes seriously, hence their desperate attempts to hook up with IBM to try and get some of the business world to look at them in any real way.
That they are scared if they did launch anything GAMING related, it would damage them further.

In real business people use PC's and have done for decades.
And I'm not talking Fashion/graphics stuff. I real REAL boring mundane keeping the work running business.
That's the world of the PC and I can't see that changing.

Apple is like the Nike of computers. Yay great at fashion and makes money, but nothing anything serious would use.
Hence perhaps that's why they are scared to offer gaming. As they may well feel it would damage their attempts to try and get taken seriously

Didn't Apple get like 50% of IBM employees to switch to Mac?

As for gaming, your theory is....farfetch. Apple hasn't gotten into gaming because it hasn't been profitable.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Didn't Apple get like 50% of IBM employees to switch to Mac?

I would suggest that, that number is highly able to be manipulated.

Say you use a PC at work, for lets say stock trading, or Engineering CAD work.
I come along and say hi there, here is a MAC to use also. either for you or as one of the machines you can use in your dept.

Do you could as one that's now got Mac's ?

Someone could use that as a statistic on paper to say now you could as an area of the company using Mac's

I would not be surprised if the above it more the reality as opposed to do into a company, take all their PC's away and dump them, and give them only Mac's. which is what you think when you read PR statements like that, that are always used to distort actual reality to try and make the point they want to put across.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I would suggest that, that number is highly able to be manipulated.

Say you use a PC at work, for lets say stock trading, or Engineering CAD work.
I come along and say hi there, here is a MAC to use also. either for you or as one of the machines you can use in your dept.

Do you could as one that's now got Mac's ?

Someone could use that as a statistic on paper to say now you could as an area of the company using Mac's

I would not be surprised if the above it more the reality as opposed to do into a company, take all their PC's away and dump them, and give them only Mac's. which is what you think when you read PR statements like that, that are always used to distort actual reality to try and make the point they want to put across.

We don't know what the numbers mean unless IBM or Apple elaborates. No use in coming up with crazy scenarios. IBM seems to be enthusiastic working with Apple, so that's good news.

I just don't get the rhetoric of people saying Apple should do XYZ, some other company is doing it. You do realize Apple is the largest most profitable tech company? Their first quarter was most profitable of any company ever in history. MS is tiny compared to Apple. In fact if they merged with Google, they'd still be smaller than Apple. Apple is in plenty areas of tech.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
i did not stipulate anywhere in my post that: until maybe about a year or you ago, it was early days".
There for sure was no clear stipulation what you meant with 'early days'. It just sounded like 'things were ok until recently/not too long ago'. Whether you had one year or five years in mind was left for me to guess (and I took a guess that accentuated my point).
Secondly, it was not until recently that apple decided to turn some of there machines into once purchased items, with very little upgrade potential. It started with soldered ram, then custom ssds. I remember how easy it was to upgrade my MBP or mac pro with custom ssds/hdds; even cpus and gpus in the MP. Furthermore, I appreciate that the many consumers rarely upgrade there machines and the half-life of PCs rapidly began to depreciate after 2010/11.
Making things ever smaller and more compact is noticeably helped (or even 'requires') by new form factors (eg, moving away from 2.5" drive formats) and the removal of the elements that make parts user-exchangeable. The most extreme example is the new Macbook. If you look at the shape of its battery, you have something that seems almost impossible to do as a removable battery.

While we might think they have gone too far too fast, many people probably like the size, shape and weight of the MBA compared to the non-retina MBP (and I know that is comparing 15 W with 27 W CPUs). And as you probably alluded to, other manufacturers have followed that trend as well (eg, the new Galaxy S4 doesn't have user-removable battery anymore).

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
We don't know what the numbers mean unless IBM or Apple elaborates. No use in coming up with crazy scenarios. IBM seems to be enthusiastic working with Apple, so that's good news.

I just don't get the rhetoric of people saying Apple should do XYZ, some other company is doing it. You do realize Apple is the largest most profitable tech company? Their first quarter was most profitable of any company ever in history. MS is tiny compared to Apple. In fact if they merged with Google, they'd still be smaller than Apple. Apple is in plenty areas of tech.

Apple being profitable means nothing.

You could say the NAZI's were good as they had the most troops, weaponry, and were able to concur the most countries. Success means you must be doing something right huh?

Making lots of money does not mean you are doing the right thing for people.
Two separate things entirely.

As I've said before. If Windows PC vanished tomorrow the world as we know it would literally grind to a halt.
If Apple computers vanished tomorrow, not much would happen.
Apple is irrelevant in actual reality. Sure it's cool, and hip, and trendy and fashionable, but it's also unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Let's see. Intel Skylake-K is the only chip available atm. Everything else exists just on paper. With release date unknown.
And since when has Apple been chomping at the bit to update all Macs the moment new possible chips were available? And what you call 'release date unknown' other sites have described as 'early 2016'.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Apple being profitable means nothing.

You could say the NAZI's were good as they had the most troops, weaponry, and were able to concur the most countries. Success means you must be doing something right huh?

Making lots of money does not mean you are doing the right thing for people.
Two separate things entirely.

As I've said before. If Windows PC vanished tomorrow the world as we know it would literally grind to a halt.
If Apple computers vanished tomorrow, not much would happen.
Apple is irrelevant in actual reality. Sure it's cool, and hip, and trendy and fashionable, but it's also unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

What exactly does this have to do with gaming? Apple is profitable and much more so than MS. They're also entering new markets that they deem as profitable. Sorry gaming isn't one of them. It's really funny how Apple's doom and gloom has been forecasted for nearly a decade.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What exactly does this have to do with gaming? Apple is profitable and much more so than MS. They're also entering new markets that they deem as profitable. Sorry gaming isn't one of them. It's really funny how Apple's doom and gloom has been forecasted for nearly a decade.

Just to clarify, I never said anything about Apple Doom and Gloom, or Apple doing things to damage their profits.
I'm just looking at it as sad that they are no longer interested, or offer any products to those very people who got them where they are today.

Those people Apple no longer care about, and, has been said, if you are one of those people, your only choice now is "Get a PC"

I just wish Apple would make a machine for that sector they have ignored for a good decade or longer.
We know one good reason why they won't and this IS one of the biggest problems when a company gets to be like Apple.

You make a new product people want, but you don't make THAT much "new money" as all that happens is people who would of bought 1 device from you, now buy that other device from you instead.
So you gain a sale and lose a sale.

When you run a monopoly on a product "Apple Computers running OSX" this is always the problem for the consumers as the makers want to limit the range to suite them, not suit the users.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Just to clarify, I never said anything about Apple Doom and Gloom, or Apple doing things to damage their profits.
I'm just looking at it as sad that they are no longer interested, or offer any products to those very people who got them where they are today.

Those people Apple no longer care about, and, has been said, if you are one of those people, your only choice now is "Get a PC"

I just wish Apple would make a machine for that sector they have ignored for a good decade or longer.
We know one good reason why they won't and this IS one of the biggest problems when a company gets to be like Apple.

You make a new product people want, but you don't make THAT much "new money" as all that happens is people who would of bought 1 device from you, now buy that other device from you instead.
So you gain a sale and lose a sale.

When you run a monopoly on a product "Apple Computers running OSX" this is always the problem for the consumers as the makers want to limit the range to suite them, not suit the users.
What are you talking about? Gamers didn't get Apple to where they are today.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What are you talking about? Gamers didn't get Apple to where they are today.

The "Techie Nerds" that Apple today sticks their middle finger up at, and whom have no choice but to buy a PC are the ones that Apple owes it's very existence to.
Not the Average non technical consumer in the street who doe snot care about anything other than style and brand.

Hence why I feel it's such a shame, Apple have abandoned it's roots.
If only they offered ONE such machine for those people.

And don't forget, like it or not it's demands for games that has pushed computers harder and faster more than anything else over the past decades to get them where they are today.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The "Techie Nerds" that Apple today sticks their middle finger up at, and whom have no choice but to buy a PC are the ones that Apple owes it's very existence to.
Not the Average non technical consumer in the street who doe snot care about anything other than style and brand.

Hence why I feel it's such a shame, Apple have abandoned it's roots.
If only they offered ONE such machine for those people.

And don't forget, like it or not it's demands for games that has pushed computers harder and faster more than anything else over the past decades to get them where they are today.

I bet the "techie nerds" account for less than 20% of Apple's Mac revenue. Techie nerds buy windows PCs

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I bet the "techie nerds" account for less than 20% of Apple's Mac revenue. Techie nerds buy windows PCs

Indeed, but you have just made THE VERY POINT.

They don't have any choice but to buy Windows PC's as Apple don't make anything for that (in your words) almost 5th of the marketplace.

displayblock

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2014
The rumored base model ATV is 8GB. You expect to store the assets for a 4K app on that tiny thing? 16GB is barely enough to even install apps on my iPad; I regret not buying a bigger one now.

32GB base model? 64GB option? I could handle that.

And anyways, I'd mostly be streaming Netflix's catalog of Ultra HD titles like Breaking Bad. My connection can handle that, and most hopefully will be able to over the coming years. It's just forward thinking that was not present in this decision, unless upgrading in a year or two was Apple's goal. I'll hold off until then.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Indeed, but you have just made THE VERY POINT.

They don't have any choice but to buy Windows PC's as Apple don't make anything for that (in your words) almost 5th of the marketplace.

I'm telling you Apple isn't losing any sleep over it. The market is too small and not profitable. The Mac Pro is the extent of Apple catering to a small market and that's for creative pros not gamers. They're not going to put a 980ti in a machine, get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.