Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to open a flagship retail store underneath Piazza del Liberty, or Liberty Square, in Milan, the most populous metropolitan area in Italy, according to preliminary guidelines approved by the city's planning department last month.

apple-store-milan-italy-render.jpg
Render of planned flagship Apple Store in Milan, Italy

The retail store will be developed by architecture firm Foster and Partners, who have partnered with Apple for several of its flagship retail stores around the world and its upcoming Campus 2 headquarters in Cupertino, California.

The location is expected to be "one of the most innovative and technological Apple Stores in the world," and it will include an above-ground amphitheater where Apple plans to host at least eight public events of cultural significance per year.

The amphitheater will "represent the heart of the square," with steps leading to an intermediate level between the square and the underlying store. An elevator will be included at the plaza level to ensure the store is fully accessible.

A large glass screen made from a waterfall will mark the entrance to the store, which will take over the space currently occupied by Apollo Spazio Cinema. No timeline was outlined for completion of the project.

apple-store-kunming-china.jpg
Apple's upcoming store in Kunming, China

In related news, Apple today announced it will open its next store in Kunming, China on January 21 at 10:00 a.m. local time.

(Thanks, setteBIT and Storeteller!)

Article Link: Apple Planning to Open Flagship Store in Milan, Italy

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
And yet, still none in New Zealand even though we are on first round release for most hardware and software

....waiting

You need an iconic fashion location , mega sales potential or sweet tax deal. What's NZ got? ;)

Reactions: Josh_NZ

Josh_NZ

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
You need an iconic fashion location , mega sales potential or sweet tax deal. What's NZ got? ;)
Haha! Touche! My main grievance is the fact that there are smaller cities than Auckland in the world that do have an Apple store, and yet we still dont.
In all fairness, we have Gucci, Dior, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, H&M, TopShop, Swarovski, Coach, Rodd & Gunn, Hugo Boss, Prada, and others... New Zealand also has pretty sweet tax incentives for off-shore companies and an apparently 'booming' economy with all of Apple's target market having a somewhat flush amount of disposable income.
We were one of the first countries to have an online Apple Store, yet now we are one of (two?) that have an online shop with no physical store. Presently our only option is to fly internationally to Australia (4hours each way at $450+ return) to have the privilege of seeing the magical people in blue shirts.

Reactions: MH01

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Haha! Touche! My main grievance is the fact that there are smaller cities than Auckland in the world that do have an Apple store, and yet we still dont.
In all fairness, we have Gucci, Dior, Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, H&M, TopShop, Swarovski, Coach, Rodd & Gunn, Hugo Boss, Prada, and others... New Zealand also has pretty sweet tax incentives for off-shore companies and an apparently 'booming' economy with all of Apple's target market having a somewhat flush amount of disposable income.
We were one of the first countries to have an online Apple Store, yet now we are one of (two?) that have an online shop with no physical store. Presently our only option is to fly internationally to Australia (4hours each way at $450+ return) to have the privilege of seeing the magical people in blue shirts.

I think that is ridiculous . Canberra of all places has a store! Mind you that was chosen based on the average income , kinda sad. NZ should have a physical store.

Reactions: Josh_NZ

Josh_NZ

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
I think that is ridiculous . Canberra of all places has a store! Mind you that was chosen based on the average income , kinda sad. NZ should have a physical store.

Yeah, at our last national Census (2013), the median income had risen 23% from $43,550 (US$30,300) in 2006 to $55,150 (US$38,350) in 2013, it's not like NZ is scraping the bottom of the barrel financially! :D
On top of that, GDP Purchasing Power Parity increased from $106.9b to $136b over the same period.

DrNevs

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2017
And yet, still none in New Zealand even though we are on first round release for most hardware and software

....waiting

And Yet, still none for Ireland either. Even though that's where the so called 'European Headquarters' are.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I wonder when it'll be ready. I'm going to be in Milan in April, would love to see it.

Since when is Milan the most populated city in Italy?

Not sure if that's what they meant, but I am curious what they meant by "the most populous metropolitan area in Italy".

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
Yeah, at our last national Census (2013), the median income had risen 23% from $43,550 (US$30,300) in 2006 to $55,150 (US$38,350) in 2013, it's not like NZ is scraping the bottom of the barrel financially! :D
On top of that, GDP Purchasing Power Parity increased from $106.9b to $136b over the same period.
My guess would be Apple don't want to open a single New Zealand store until they are confident that they can open at least 2 or 3, maybe more. As others have said, there are many smaller cities than Auckland that have Apple Stores. Newcastle (AU) has a population smaller than Wellington or Christchurch, has a store, but being close to Sydney it can being managed, stock etc, as part of the larger chain. I just checked, Australia now has 22 Apple Stores with 8 in Sydney plus Newcastle. Apple open stores where they think they can make money, if you look at the location of the 8 Sydney store they skew towards the more affluent areas that Apple think will be more profitable. There are no Apple Stores in Tasmania and Apple only opened one in Adelaide in 2013.
Good luck, maybe 2017 will be the year New Zealand gets an Apple Store or two.

truskino

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
uK post march will beat them :p

Milan = fashion .....

Not speaking about Germany's conservative views about debt (after years spent on making a lot of it for growth's sake) or UK's tragic brexit, but ok, let's be short minded.

Speaking about that, so let's say USA = obesity issue...? Damn, guys :rolleyes:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Not speaking about Germany's conservative views about debt (after years spent on making a lot of it for growth's sake) or UK's tragic brexit, but ok, let's be short minded.

Speaking about that, so let's say USA = obesity issue...? Damn, guys :rolleyes:

Hence why iPhones are made in China....thinner ;) happy to continue with the sarcasm :)

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I wonder when it'll be ready. I'm going to be in Milan in April, would love to see it.

Not sure if that's what they meant, but I am curious what they meant by "the most populous metropolitan area in Italy".
Nice period with unpredictable weather, hope you'll enjoy yourself.

cics

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Milano
living in Milan myself, I cannot wait for it. There are already 2 flagship stores serving the metropolitan areas, but they are in 2 shopping malls quite far from the city center.
[doublepost=1484061216][/doublepost]

I don't think will be ready by April. I have been to that place before xmas and didn't see anything but a xmas market.
[doublepost=1484061344][/doublepost]

If you take out "fashion", iconic location perfectly described NZ. I have been to New Zealand for a trip and it's definitely the best country I've ever visited so far. It's breathtaking!

Reactions: profets
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.