Apple Planning Updates to Pages, Numbers, and Keynote Apps to Take Advantage of Trackpad Support on iPads

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its iWork suite of productivity apps, including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote, will soon be updated to take full advantage of trackpad support coming in iPadOS 13.4, which will be released on March 24.

From its press release for new iPad Pro models today:
Writing and editing text is a breeze in Pages, working with multiple objects in Keynote is easier than ever, and added levels of precision make working with even the largest spreadsheets a snap. Additional new features include gorgeous new templates in Pages and Keynote, giving users a head start on creating beautiful documents and, for the first time in iWork, users can add a drop cap to make a paragraph stand out with a large, decorative first letter.
Apple added that collaboration will also become easier with support for iCloud folder sharing, a feature expected to be available in iPadOS 13.4.

Article Link: Apple Planning Updates to Pages, Numbers, and Keynote Apps to Take Advantage of Trackpad Support on iPads

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
That’s all well and good but given the pro moniker and prices can’t we get some serious pro apps? xcode, Logic etc?

Reactions: GeoStructural

Force332

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Great. But what about apps that people actually use? (Yes, I know there ARE you folks out there that use iWork. As do I albeit only on occasion) So, I'm assuming this means that developers have to update their apps to be able to take advantage? We'll see how long that takes.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Great. But what about apps that people actually use? (Yes, I know there ARE you folks out there that use iWork. As do I albeit only on occasion) So, I'm assuming this means that developers have to update their apps to be able to take advantage? We'll see how long that takes.
I very much agree with this. While I do like iWork, how many people realistically are using it over office? I am surprised they still allocate resources to it.

Reactions: paul4339

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I very much agree with this. While I do like iWork, how many people realistically are using it over office? I am surprised they still allocate resources to it.
I removed them out of the dock because I am already committed to Office. But circumstances might change since I currently get Office for free.

chucker23n1

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2014
So, I'm assuming this means that developers have to update their apps to be able to take advantage? We'll see how long that takes.
Well, yes.

Shouldn't take too long, though. Nadella-era Microsoft is quite happy to make Office on iPad a first-tier platform. They're not quite there yet, but bit by bit.

Reactions: GeoStructural

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
It's free, it ships with the Mac, and it works beautifully for plenty of normal uses of what you need an office suite for. I have Office on my Mac and I never open it unless I have to.

I know Excel is a beast and for people who need it, they need it. But PowerPoint is trash compared to Keynote -- and I've spent hundreds of hours building professional decks with both pieces of software.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I used both. All i can say is the productivity on iPad (regardless of iWork or Office, there are pros and cons) isn't the same as a PC or Mac ... and it's not a breeze (for me at least). I've been trying to do most of my work on iPad instead of laptop where i can for about two years now, and some stuff is still needs alot of maturing. It's nice to see that they are putting more work into it. I'm also glad to see them put more work to make things work with iPadOS.

IMO, Excel still rules in the business world.

Reactions: ipponrg

iDento

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
To all the people comparing iWork with office, iWork is not an alternative to office. For personal use, I prefer iWorks, the suite of apps are easier to use, look better and just works. Macros, some crazy large spreadsheets, doing business for a corporation , nope.

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
iWork is acceptable for the average, non-collaborative task at hand.

Unfortunately, most seem to go Google Suite or Office for anything that's more extensive and more cross platform.

originalmagneto

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2015
Slovakia
I tried to use Office apps multiple times, but I always felt it was a chore and pain. They are always trying to push "platform agnostic" features into the users mouth and I hate that. They are not using the standard document picker/provider APIs, the sharing features are garbage, the interface and text handling is ****. I am tlaking about Word. PowerPoint is a catastrophe compared to Keynote. Numbers is so much more user friendly. And when I take the iPad/iPhone apps, the benefits of using iWork are much more accentuated. Office is just used because its considered "standard", not because its actually good. I HAVE SPOKEN!

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
It's free, it ships with the Mac, and it works beautifully for plenty of normal uses of what you need an office suite for. I have Office on my Mac and I never open it unless I have to.

I know Excel is a beast and for people who need it, they need it. But PowerPoint is trash compared to Keynote -- and I've spent hundreds of hours building professional decks with both pieces of software.
How is PowerPoint "trash" according to you? Yes, Excel and Word are far superior than Numbers and Pages, to the point of no contest, and yet I would not call them trash.

I agree with you that Keynote is the only one that competes with MS Office, but it in no way makes PowerPoint look like trash, I teach with both Keynote and PowerPoint, and present results to professional Engineers using both, I prefer the presentation capabilities of Keynote but I love the feature rich PowerPoint, its availability everywhere and creation tools. They are on par if not PP slightly above.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Could not agree more on the Keynote font. Give me that over powerpoint any day of the week.

Reactions: ignatius345

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
Could not agree more on the Keynote font. Give me that over powerpoint any day of the week.
What I really wish, of course, is that Apple would create some kind of Keynote viewer for PC. I can't count how many times I've heard "amazing deck! How can I view it on my PC?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.