Apple Planning Video Chat On New Iphone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gilbert1020, Feb 3, 2009.

1. gilbert1020 macrumors regular

gilbert1020

2. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

how are they going to pull off video calls when their current phone switches from edge to 3g while being in line of sight of a tower?

3. acurafan macrumors 6502a

^^ LOL, plus ATT's craptastic service, it'll look like it's coming off a 28.8k modem speed.

90% of the time, i can't even surf the web with 3G and am on the WiFi network to obtain faster speed.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

5. Miker2k macrumors regular

I'm not sold on the idea of video conferencing on my mobile phone but then again I don't need to be sold on the idea..... there will be an audience.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I think video chat on a cell phone would be a pretty useless feature. I'd place it on par with street view- cool and impressive eye candy, but impractical.

7. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

As I said in another post, "It may be for you, but with an unlimited data plan, I would make full use of it. I use Skype every day to keep in touch with my relatives overseas, and I have very few connection problems. And that's with an overseas PC with a slower than dial-up internet connection. If it worked close to as well on my iPhone, I would be ecstatic."

8. michael31986 macrumors 68030

its pointless since no other phone in the US uses that feature, plus who will honestly talk with their phone held out in front of them, unless they are home. u would look a bit weird doing it at an airport and ucan't do it in a car.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You shouldn't be on the phone while driving anyway.

I'm in the camp of it's useless, too. I do use Skype from time to time, and it's neat, but you do you really need that capacity on your cell phone? I can see some limited uses for business people who travel a lot and need "face to face" contact (though wouldn't laptops and Skype work just as well?).

Honestly, trying to hold a camera in front of your face and keep it steady for an extended period of time while talking to someone seems impractical. So what - you'll have to find a place at roughly the right height, and put your iPhone on a stand? Or will someone develop a headband with an iPhone cradle?

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I think a laptop with webcam would be far, far easier than trying to videoconference on your phone...

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

People put a lot of crazy ideas in patents to cover themselves. Talking about video chat in a patent hardly means it going to happen anytime soon. I don't think they would even try it until there is a camera on the face.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That article is ridiculous. Since when does a patent mean "Apple plans to..."?

12. Katuls macrumors member

I'd be willing to bet my brand new 3g that this feature will not be on the next iphone. Useless IMO. Cell phones= mobile. Walking, driving, etc. This isn't a meeting where you're in an office with a conference video phone in front of you.

13. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Att 3G network sucks so bad it's not even funny, also I'm sure the iPhone would have to get speeds of 7.2MBPS to have video conferencing and ATT only now just started working on that. I know in Europe or Asia the iPhone could do this

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

That's great but I just don't see the point. Use Skype on your computer when you want to vid chat. Sure it's cool in a very Star Trekian way, but I don't see the need to replace phone calls with video.

There's certainly exceptions to every rule, but there is a reason why cellphone vid conferencing hasn't caught on anywhere in the world. Every thread on this I've seen is filled with posts saying- I used it once and never again.

Not the mention the last thing the world needs is millions of idiots driving while video conferencing on their iPhones.

15. Jess.H macrumors member

Jess.H

I would have to agree with you here. I see it as being more of an interesting gimmick than anything else, which isn't to say that it wouldn't help sell more phones. :)

16. time2flyyy macrumors newbie

time2flyyy

They have had video chat in europe for the past 5years. When I backpacked there it was very commonplace to have a videochat with a friend on a disposable cell phone I purchased there. Why can't ATT figure this out?!?!?!

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Some petrol for the burning debate
    http://macosrumors.com/what-is-the-batphone/

(Oh how i loled at reading it. but then there is a device coming out from Sony i believe that steams a camcorders material over 3G (15fps or similar) or higher over LAN/wifi.). It's technologically possible. Years ago.

Those who don't get the paradigm, are probably not going to use it as much, so maybe not know the benefits. Not benefitting some, doesn't mean it won't benefit others.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Ever since the internet has evolved into an ad-supported, numbers driven, make up whatever you want, copy everything else, just-get-the-readers, National Enquirer style.

And especially in the case of the iPhone. Any hint that it might get some desired functionality throws people into a tizzy.

19. RabidBear macrumors member

RabidBear

I hope not

With a battery that barely makes it from dawn to bedtime, I just don't see this happening. I see an app like this draining battery life faster than my Tahoe guzzles gas.