Apple Plans for New MBP's NOT to use NVidia Chips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NomadicTy, Sep 5, 2009.

1. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Hi!

I have a late 07 15" SR with the NVidia 8600M GT video chip. I've had issues with the wake from sleep from almost a month after I bought it. Now, my laptop would sometimes go to sleep by itself even while I'm working on it.

I also started using it with an 24" external. At first everything was okay. But about a month ago, my mbp's screen would sometimes go out, leaving me with only my external monitor. When this happens the sleep light is on. I'm able to keep working, but I'm stuck with just one monitor.

While connected to the external, I've also had issues during bootup. It sometimes (about 1/3 of the time) would get stuck in the blue screen right before the logon screen comes up. I'd have unplug power, remove battery, and let it sit for a few minutes before trying again.

Looking through this forum, and other mac forums, I see the wake from sleep issues (SR), external monitor issues, and new "flickering" issues (unibodies). There are little work around that may work for a while, but the problems keep coming back. It seems NVidia does not care much about QC, and Apple, as well as other manufacturers who used their chips are having problems because of this. Frankly, for mbp users, these types of problems should not be present on laptops that cost more than 2,000 USD.

I'd like to get rid of my mbp. But I do see that the new mbp's are not without their own problems either. So, now way I'm spending another 2k USD for another set of video problems. So, does anybody know if Apple will still keep on using NVidia's fast (if they work) chips? Or would Apple finally see the light and just go with ATI or some other video chip maker?

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Well first off, the 8600M is known to be defective, so it's problems are to be expected. However, I haven't had any issues with the 9400M + 9600M in my MBP (and I'm sure many other Unibody owners will tell you the same thing). You have to remember that whenever you see something in a forum it appears much more prevalent because people who aren't having problems are less likely to post on a forum say how they haven't experienced any issues. Granted I'm sure it's possible to get a new MBP with graphics issues, but these problems are no where near as widespread as with the MBP which used the 8600M.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The problem with the 8600 is well documented and apple has been extending the warranty of affect units.

That specific problem is related only to that GPU and so the 9400 and 9600 GPUs are defect free so you should have some peace of mind with that.

As for apple dropping nvidia and going to ATI is highly unlikely. While news reports had mentioned a division in the relationship of nvidia and apple, that was more rumor then truth. Apple has continued to use them and there's no reports/evidence that apple is moving away from nvidia.

If you want to wait and can afford to wait, i.e. don't need a new laptop now. Then I suggest you wait especially since intel is getting the mobile versions of the Nehalem chipset ready. Original time lines for Clarksfield/Arrandale were set to be 4th quarter 2009, 1st quarter 2010. So you can guess that apple will have a new laptop on the new chipsets released sometime in 2010.

My unibody MBP has been working wonderfully and I highly recommend it, if your need is more immediate.

4. NomadicTy thread starter macrumors regular

11800506 - when you switch your video from 9600 to 9400, do you get the flickering issue? When did you get your unibody?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have to log out and back in to switch GPUs to that end there's no flickering.