Apple Plans to Let Developers Release Universal Apps That Work Across iPhone, iPad, and Mac

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple aims to allow developers to release universal apps that work across iPhone, iPad, and Mac as early as next year, according to Bloomberg News.

[​IMG]
    Apple tentatively plans to begin rolling out the change in iOS 12 and macOS 10.14 next year, and it could announce the news as soon as WWDC 2018 in June, according to the report. The exact timeline is subject to change.

Apple typically previews the next major versions of its iOS and macOS operating systems at WWDC in June, with beta versions of each platform available to developers and public testers until September, so it's possible APIs for universal apps will begin rolling out in the pre-release software.

Apple currently requires developers to design separate apps for iOS and macOS, but iPhone and iPad apps often receive more attention than their Mac counterparts in a mobile-first world. The report said it's unclear if Apple will eventually merge the less-popular Mac App Store with the App Store for iOS.

The project is reportedly codenamed "Marzipan" and is considered to be one of the biggest changes on Apple's roadmap next year. The report speculates that universal apps would make it easier for Apple to one day create a single operating system for all of its devices, should it ever go down that avenue.

Apple would be following in the footsteps of Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform, aimed at helping developers create universal apps that run across Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile, the latter of which is being phased out.

Article Link: Apple Plans to Let Developers Release Universal Apps That Work Across iPhone, iPad, and Mac

2. Appleaker, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017

Appleaker macrumors 68000

This is brilliant, I don’t think they should create 1 OS, but things like this will make things like handoff more seamless and hopefully be a big step for Mac games too as iOS games become more advanced.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

4. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

5. ahnafm macrumors member

6. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about this. There really is no need to.

7. Doebldodl macrumors member

I foresee cheap iOS apps that can be extended to macOS apps with (expensive) in-app purchases.

8. jdawgnoonan macrumors 6502

jdawgnoonan

I hope that this succeeds as it will be huge if it does. And it will keep Mac OS competitive with Chrome OS and it’s (albeit flawed) ability to run Android Apps.

9. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Finally....of course though the concern is that this means more Mac apps will get gutted like with iWork during the initial transition (pages is still not fully up to par with the old version).

10. Braderunner macrumors 6502

11. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

A prerequisite being a shiny new ARM based Mac?

12. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Seems just like this, only missing Apple TV, as UWP covers PC, Phone (whatever they have left), and Xbox

13. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I knew it would only be a matter of time before Tim Cook started leading Apple towards one operating system and this is the beginning of the change. And I’m not sure I will like what the future will bring...

15. Cesar Battistini macrumors regular

Cesar Battistini

That is game changing!

When Apple makes this work properly the Mac will instantly be the most attractive operating system for the average Joe.

The Mac App Store lacks a lot of things!

I want banking apps, a Netflix app with 4K support, all with automatic updates! That is a dream.

16. wwchris macrumors regular

Mouse support for iPad would actually let it be a true, productive laptop. I know Apple won't do it because it would blur their product lines, but they really should.

17. iBrooker macrumors 6502

This could be a game changer - if done right. Just hope it doesn't end up making the Mac a 'toy' (dumbed down consumer) platform.

18. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

tvOS already uses iOS APIs (minus a few) and I think it will continue to do so.

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

As long as devs are using things like Asset Catalogs, App Thinning should mean that only the required resources for that device are downloaded. When you download a universal app on iPhone, it doesn't download the iPad assets as well. I'd expect it to work the same if universal apps worked on Mac too.

This is contingent with developers using the latest APIs etc, but that historically hasn't been a huge issue.

20. EVGabe macrumors newbie

EVGabe

This, if executed right, will bring Apple to a whole new level.

21. melgross macrumors 6502

I’ve been saying this for years. The universal OS. An app would run on all hardware, showing features that would work on that hardware. Move to more sophisticated hardware, and more features would be there.

22. Cesar Battistini macrumors regular

Cesar Battistini

Mac can run the iPad version off the apps and if the developer chooses so it can have a Mac excusive app.

And Apple can make apps that download just the specific files for your device.

23. canny macrumors regular

canny

They lost an opportunity to sync the version numbers... macOS could have gone up to eleven last time. And then this news would have made more sense.

24. Brammy macrumors 65816

I'm hoping this means things like the full version of Office can finally end up on the iPad.

25. bwintx macrumors 6502

bwintx

Definitely a "Came here for the comments" thread. Sorry I don't have the prerequisite "Michael Jackson eating popcorn" GIF or anything like that. :)