Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
In other words, apple is offering what directv used to spam call us about every other week. "Please try our premium channels..it's free for now..blah blah blah" Ugh. No thanks Apple.

Reactions: Marekul

Tapatio

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2018
Another bundle? No thanks. There's plenty of those to go around. I highly doubt this is what Steve Jobs had in mind when he said he figured out what to do with TV.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Canada has an own market, guess You didn’t realize the usmc trade agreement
USMCA does not apply to Media content distribution in regards to Canadian Content.

For example, Cable companies, when providing bundled networks, must also include a certain portion of Canadian networks in their bundles. And Canadian networks, while allowed to broadcast and syndicate US programs, must also contain a certain percentage of Canadian made content.

the NAFTA/USMC does not override or apply to the CRTC Canadian Content regulations.

keithdoc

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
I happily cut the cord about 3 years ago. (I still pay for cable but, only for streaming access to the channels). My problem with many of the "apps" provided by other entities is that they are crap - requiring a profile, added commercials, or utterly un-navigable interface. I really hope Apple removes these annoyances with a unified viewing experience.

Disney with the Marvel / Star Wars / 21st Century Fox would be a nice add.

Now if I can only figure out to to get SEC Network - the only real reason I maintain my "cable" subscription.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
This could be good if it is basically “cable al carte”. I like cable. But I don’t like paying to get the Tier 2 “bundle” (and its 100 junk channels) to unlock HBO, or ESPN. I wish there would be a “pick any 5” for xxx dollars per month. With Netflix and VuDu already on my Apple TV, if Apple did this right, they could get real leverage in the hardware market, if they continue to have the only device that streams Apple’s services, as it is now. I swapped my RoKu 4K device for Apple TV after Apple went UHD and allowed VuDu and all the other streaming services.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'll wait until the keynote before making any judgments on the service. iTunes TV shows and movies, plus original content, and live TV is something I would drop Playstation Vue for. If the service is $9.99 a month, I would maybe check it out for original content. As it is right now though, sounds messy.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
Really interested in what this is going to be. Any kind of service like this for me is dead without a great offering of live sports. Things like HBO, Showtime, etc are of zero interest to me, but a wide range of football and baseball (so basically ESPN and all of their related channels as well as the Fox RSNs) would be super appealing to me.

That said....I don't figure this is a hill Apple will attempt to scale.

Exactly. Because I'm the exact opposite. I want a bundle with no sports at all. Hope they have bundles for all tastes because no other service out there has nailed this yet.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
This shows that without Steve Jobs, these people are just bunch of negotiators who negotiate contracts. That's all. The way Steve convinced the music industry to sell music over iTunes was revolutionary. And now we have Tim Cook and Eddie Cue running the business! No revolutionary idea.. just old wine in new bottle!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder if it will bundle like we have in the U.K with Sky/Now TV.

Entertainment - Tv shows including drama, comedy and documentary

Film - self explanatory

Sports - again self explanatory

That way those of us that don’t want sport can just watch entertainment and or film.

I think if this can be done through the TV app, like it currently does with certain things here in the U.K, it will be good. For example i get notifications when a TV series I’ve been watching has a new episode (after starting it in iPlayer).

Given that rumoured to launch in other countries im guessing they have something ready for us too.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
Every time I try to watch commercial television I turn it off after 10 minutes and go back to listening to music. Todays media content and delivery system is like a cheap smorgasbord feast that has blown-up and cascaded down upon their quests. You have know idea what'll land on your plate.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This shows that without Steve Jobs, these people are just bunch of negotiators who negotiate contracts. That's all. The way Steve convinced the music industry to sell music over iTunes was revolutionary. And now we have Tim Cook and Eddie Cue running the business! No revolutionary idea.. just old wine in new bottle!

Have you not seen Apple Music, it’s the first and only music streaming service I use. It’s popular as well with over 50 million paid subscribers and counting.

Last edited:

Jandalf

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2016
Berlin, Germany
„other countries coming soon“ - probably won’t happen over here then...
I must say I appreciate that I don’t have to juggle around where to squeeze in even more TV-watching / content with Netflix and Amazon and cable and what not...
But good completion keeps the biz and hopefully true innovation running...

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

I am not sure I agree. At the time, the music industry was dying. Apple gave them life again. The TV and movie industry is very very different, with tons of licensing issues to jump through, a lot of players who all want their cut, and regional roadblocks as well.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
hmmm. so how is this going to be different than sling, directvnow, psvue? just some original programming? Price will be vital to separate yourselves from the rest that are already available.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
How will this work for us in the U.K? It’s expected that the service will launch in 100 countries by the end of the year.
It won’t, we’ll only be given access to Apple’s own content at a higher price than US customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.