Apple, please add a Spell Checker & Auto text for the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mkoval11, Jul 25, 2008.

?

Do you think a Spell Checker and Auto Text is Important for the iPhone

Poll closed Jul 29, 2008.
  1. Can't live without it...

40.0%
  2. No, users will understand since its a mobile device...

20.0%
  3. What, I thought auto fill was a Spell Checker...

40.0%
  1. mkoval11 macrumors member

mkoval11

With the new 2.1 seed, were now hearing about a Copy and Paste. Fantastic, but would you please add a Spell Checker and Auto Text. I must be the only one out there that needs this. I love my 3G, but you'd think that these basic tools would be in Version 2.0.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'm pretty sure auto-text is already on there.

Just tried typing "tomorrow" and got to "tomor" when the iPhone suggest the full word.

3. mkoval11 thread starter macrumors member

mkoval11

Auto Text

Thanks, but I want to add my own. For example ty = Thank you and pls = Please call me as soon as you can at xxx.xxx.xxxx. Thank you. These are huge for me since I send some 100 emails a day. Blackberry has had this since it was introduced in 1999.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you want Apple to add customizable auto text. Understandable. I just checked my BB and if I type TY I don't get Thank you. I must have a defunct 8700.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Sounds like what might be better (or at least faster to implement) would be for someone to create an app that saves e-mail templates.

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Yeah, sounds like you should have made the poll for manually adding new words, since the iPhone does indeed have a full spell checker with auto text.

7. duncanm macrumors member

you send 100 emails a day from your mobile? I probably easily handle 100...but the majority are done on my laptop. Even on the iphone I never really feel as though I need shortcuts. I just use two thumbs, and I can blaze through emails and texts just like I'm using a keyboard.

But I'm sure there are other people out there that would find it beneficial too.

Spell check would be nice, but I find that I rarely see a misspelled word after it has auto-corrected.

8. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Wheres the "I'd like to see it and it'd be nice to have, but I can easily live without it" option? :rolleyes:

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Use the notes? :rolleyes:

Oh and how about learning to spell?

10. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I answered the poll before reading the thread, but I now see you meant something a little different from what I understood the poll to be asking.

I agree a customizable word-replacement would be pretty cool...My old Treo had this and I had forgotten how handy it was. I used it to take notes in meetings, sometimes, so I had my coworkers' initials as shortcuts. If I typed 'js' I'd get "John Smith," for example.

11. mkoval11 thread starter macrumors member

mkoval11

The 1% Rule of the Web

It's always 1% of the web who checks in with a negative response.

12. robertl594 macrumors newbie

iPhone Auto Text

Autotext is an absolute must have. Just decided to try an iPhone to replace my Blackberry and disocvered that it lacks this most important feature. I will be returning the iPhone in the 30 day return window if I cannot find a solution that enables customizeable text replacement. I am actually shocked that this has not been addressed to date.
    RL

13. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

Where do you people find these ancient threads?

14. jjvee macrumors newbie

AutoText's a must have

this tool, or something like it, would be nice to have on my iphone. no, i don't send 100 emails, or even 25, but the ability to turn "cc" into a 5 line signature or "my#" into my iphone number is a terrific time saver. I found "Typinator" for Mac, which does something similar, but not for the iphone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...and still haven't dumped my co. issued BlackBerry.

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well

this would be the downsi8de ok asking people to search. :rolleyes: everything has a downside as well as the upside. then again has the search function stopped the 10,000+ MMS threads. :rolleyes:

even replied to a old post lol.

16. mefiant macrumors newbie

Autotext for Iphone is already here...

Why are you complaining instead of searching?
    I'm using "Short Hand", which is available as a regular iphone application.
    It works pretty much the same. You have to do your typing within the app, but you are able to save the file, cut and paste, or even email it directly from the app. You can also use it with those Bookface sites and stuff.

Only downside is it doesn't work within other apps or in SMS. Beggars can't be choosers.

Best,
    Mefiant

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

One could have just seen the date and ignored it.

18. blackberryfan macrumors newbie

A feeble substitute for AutoText

I just switched from a blackberry to an Iphone. I often wonder if I made a wise choice.

I found one of these much talked about "apps" that mimics what blackberry's AutoText does. But it is not seamless like AutoText, so it is a feeble substitute. It is called "short hand"

Like I said, it works, but nowhere near as well as blackberry's system.

19. blackberryfan macrumors newbie

How about learning manners?

AutoText doesn't spell check Van Snooty. It allows me to enter an entire paragraph, like,

John W Smith, Phd
    Smith Industries
    505-555-5555
    jws@jws.com

by typing in "jsp"

It saves a ton of time and makes my business emails more business-like.:eek:

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

For anybody who wants a replacement for auto-text there's an app called TextExpander that's really good. It's more expensive than short hand but it works seamlessly with Tweetie 2 (you activate it in Tweetie and any abbreviations you use are instantly expanded).

21. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

[​IMG]

22. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Really???? This thread should be locked.

It has been necromanced about 4 times.

23. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Try linking to a JavaServer Page.

http://www.example.com/example.jsp