• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

children

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
little things like these is very un-apple.. its bugging me more and more

screenshot20120706at449.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/screenshot20120706at449.jpg/

any more unpolished UI elements?

Last edited by a moderator:

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
oh for christ sake. Get over it! It's such a minor thing. Besides I have my dock hide until I bring my cursor down. I suggest you do the same.

Comment

Fatt

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Miami/Gainesville, FL
Not really a big deal, but from a company that justifies it's higher cost products with better polish on the software and hardware, it is a bit surprising... Is this an issue only with the new retina displays, or this an old issue?

Comment

leman

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2008
Its called aliasing and its 'normal'. The simplest way to fix it is to get the retina MBP ;) I guess they could apply some sort of AA to the dock borders though...

Comment

DrJohnZoidberg

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
If it really worries you, open a terminal and enter:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES; killall Dock

If you don't like it, return to normal with:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO; killall Dock

Comment

children

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Don't be so bloody defensive, I'm just picking out a flaw. Its a computer, not your girlfriend

Sell it and get a windows laptop if it bugs you that much.

lol Apple really can do no wrong in your eyes... :roll eyes:

Its called aliasing and its 'normal'. The simplest way to fix it is to get the retina MBP ;) I guess they could apply some sort of AA to the dock borders though...

mine is the retina display

Comment

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
With 30 trillion dollars profit last quarter surely Apple can afford to hire a team of people to look for issues like this. Disgraceful way to cut corners (literally).

Comment

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
oh for christ sake. Get over it! It's such a minor thing.
We want perfection? We? Not only.

Jonathan Ive (i.e Apple) wants perfection, and nothing less. Watch the MacBook Pro unibody production video. He explains in this video how much perfection Apple wants.

Its called aliasing and its 'normal'. The simplest way to fix it is to get the retina MBP.
Yeah, sure. That is what the OP wants. *lol*

Someone should write a patch for the dock. I'm sure the developers forgot to use some anti-aliasing flag in the code which provides the dock functionality.

----------

Move the the dock to the left or right, that will fix it
You are holding it wrong. ;)

----------

Don't be so bloody defensive, I'm just picking out a flaw. Its a computer, not your girlfriend
Not?

Comment

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
little things like these is very un-apple.. its bugging me more and more

screenshot20120706at449.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/screenshot20120706at449.jpg/

any more unpolished UI elements?

I didn't know what was wrong with the image until I got pretty far into the thread. Hmmm. That's strange. I'm almost certain the dock surface is rendered on the fly, with reflections and shadows factored in at render time. The aliasing is almost surely an artifact caused by improper communication between the dock's rendering software, the UIview it sends its messages to, and the pixel doubling feature for the retina display.

In other words, in my opinion, the part of the code that draws the dock edge is drawing a good edge, for a low density display, which is then being doubled with the poor results you are seeing.

Surely this will be fixed in Mountain Lion. :rolleyes:

Comment

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
I didn't know what was wrong with the image until I got pretty far into the thread. Hmmm. That's strange. I'm almost certain the dock surface is rendered on the fly, with reflections and shadows factored in at render time. The aliasing is almost surely an artifact caused by improper communication between the dock's rendering software, the UIview it sends its messages to, and the pixel doubling feature for the retina display.

In other words, in my opinion, the part of the code that draws the dock edge is drawing a good edge, for a low density display, which is then being doubled with the poor results you are seeing.

Surely this will be fixed in Mountain Lion. :rolleyes:

Just looked as I am running ML DP 4 with all the updates and cannot see any jaggies on my Macbook Air and made the dock look as big as I could.

Comment

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
There are seriously some of the most OCD people on this forum. First 4 dead pixels so microscopic he literally had to take pics with a microscope to show them...now this. Start using your computer, not picking apart every little detail!

Comment

d00d

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Massachusetts
There are seriously some of the most OCD people on this forum. First 4 dead pixels so microscopic he literally had to take pics with a microscope to show them...now this. Start using your computer, not picking apart every little detail!
This coming from the guy that insists that soldered RAM is faster because of the wire length.

Comment

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'm on a 13" MBP at my office and don't have that...weird, as others have said I thought the dock was dynamically rendered.

Comment

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
This coming from the guy that insists that soldered RAM is faster because of the wire length.

theoretically it is true that if the wires are shorter, it can be faster, but the difference is no negligible you wouldn't even see it in benchmarks. There is also no guarantee that the wires are shorter, as no one is looking into how the traces are routed on the board.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.