Apple Please Give Us This ONE Feature!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackhawk526, Nov 4, 2017.

1. blackhawk526 macrumors member

blackhawk526

Having had the iPhone X for a day, I like it overall and probably can’t go back to a home button; everyone is focusing on the display but the gestures are the real game changer! Navigating iOS has never been easier and swiping is almost fun.

Anyhow, there is one glaring feature that should have been a no-brainer on the X: “Always-On Display!” They can really take advantage of the OLED display with AOD. I had time with the Note 8, and it’s a YUGE feature that you come to rely on for notifications. It eliminates having to pick the X up off the desk and directly look or double tap for notifications (something users are already voicing their displeasure about).

..Hopefully it’s in iOS 11.3 and NOT some “groundbreaking” exclusive feature on the iPhone XS;):mad:

Maybe the thought is it would hurt the
    :apple: Watch? After all, glancing at your phone screen is easier than flicking your wrist.

Attached Files:

2. ARSC macrumors 6502

It is a good feature but as the blackberry led notification lighting never came to apple this will also never come so no point.

Loving my silver iphone :)

3. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

I think they purposely haven’t introduced that feature because they’d rather up sell the watch for notifications etc without having to look at the phone. I agree though, I’d want always on display too. I guess we’ll have to see what they release in the upcoming iOS versions.

4. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Reasonable request, for having the option there (not forced).

It's one of those things I've never had on a phone, but I can see how handy it'd be for certain people (who work at a desk for much of the day for eg.).

5. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Wouldn’t this cause severe burn in issuers?

6. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

No as with the S8 and Note 8 the time and notifications move ever so slightly every so many minutes to avoid burn in.

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

I like it not showing my notifications to the world.

8. mib1800 Suspended

Read somewhere that Apple didn't want to spend money to incorporate AOD controller chip into X. If this is true, then if it is done using software only then there will be big hit on battery life

9. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Don't your notifications pop up on your phones lock screen now, before disappearing?

Anyway, with an Always-On Display you'd think Notifications won't be shown in full until the True Depth camera detects your eyes looking at the case, as it does currently.

Also, do Notifications show in detail on Samsung's Always-On Display, or does it just give you a Notification count??

10. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

Id rather just have time and weather displayed. Otherwise I think I agree with the idea.

11. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

But you won’t. If you read few things about this phone you would know that it shows notifications preview only when you as a phone owner look at it. And phone is a personal thing anyway, not quite sure what it does have to do with the world? Mine is usually in my hand, in my pocket, on my table, on my desk, on my side bed. Never displayed to the public.

12. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Moto X has this for the past 3 years now this is not something that the note 8 came out with...... Once of the best feature out there.

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

I have the phone and it shows who is sending me notifications. I dont think other people should be privy to that information.

14. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Well then if you are that concerned, disable notifications on lock screen from settings, you have the option. Why don’t you?

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

I want notification that a text came through but dint have to give out details.

16. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I am really not getting you. You either want a notification to say you received a message on a certain app and hide the content , or tell you that you received a message and display the content. Which one is it?

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

You can say you have a text message without giving up meta data and content.

18. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

But that what it does, if you don’t make eye contact to it. Saying you have a notification from x or y app. Unless you don’t want it to show what app you are receiving the notification or who from, on which case you seem to be a bit complicated person as must people won’t have a problem with this on their very own personal device. Unless of course your device display is somehow broadcasted to the public.

But even then, there should be away around it.

19. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

I’ve had a Note 5 for 2 Years and a S8 Plus for Months Zero Burn In.

20. Milese3 macrumors 6502

I don't like always on displays. When my phone has it's screen turned off, it is turned off.

21. blackhawk526 thread starter macrumors member

blackhawk526

It doesn’t show your full notifications, just an icon of the app where you have awaiting alerts. You can glance to see their are new messages without even touching the device.

Yes, but with OLED’s ability to power individual pixels instead of the entire display (like standard lcd), the screen wouldn’t have to disappear. It uses minimal battery. Samsung just shows the notification count.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Would just be a neat option for those that prefer it now that Apple is on the OLED train. The display is completely off when the phone is in your pocket or face down on a table.

22. Milese3 macrumors 6502

Agreed. It should be an optional setting for sure.

23. bbates123 macrumors 6502

Slightly off topic but I have asked for this for years on the Apple Watch...an option for AOD of time seems like a no brainer, especially since the batteries last so much longer now.