Apple please make that 27" with anti glare coating!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lukester, Dec 19, 2009.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I want that Apple 27" with an anti glare coating.
    I have never heard anyone say what gamut that screen uses either.
    It must be just sRGB since it is targeted to consumers.
    How hard can it be to sell it with an anti glare coating. I would buy a quad intel in a heart beat.

I can't believe they only offer the 24" in glossy too!!
    Plus it comes with that stupid mini dvi port that only a few computers can use.. How stupid is that..

I engineer says.. If we design a port that only a few computers can use we will sell a very small amount.. Steve Jobs says.. hey that's a great freekin Idea.. go for it!

And.. if we make only one version of the screens we sell, we will make less money too.. Yeah..!!

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

1. It's a mini Display Port port.
    2. Every Mac since 2009 supports mini DP.
    3. Mini DP is definitely the future. Not only Apple uses them in their hardware. Both ATI and Matrox recently released graphics cards for PCs with mini DP ports cause there is no way to put 6 or 8 DVI ports on a single graphics card.
    It's nonsense to support the old DVI ports if you've got something better.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you don't like the glossy coating just get a sanding wheel and some fine-grain sandpaper.

4. nastebu macrumors 6502

anti-glare coating

The screen *does* have an anti-glare coating. You can't use regular glass for a screen. It's far more reflective than the iMac screen.

5. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Ever since I switched my workflow to glossy monitors my prints match better (as in I can't tell the difference and I have a very critical eye). Give it a try youll be suprised.

7. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good question.
    It came with a warped base and 1 bad pixel. I sent it back. I found out that maybe a fork lift truck punctured the box and bent the base.

I also have determined that 95% of my work will be in the sRGB color space.
    My labs only print in sRGB so why do I need a wide gamut monitor?
    I think, that when you use sRGB color space in a wide gamut monitor you may not get the fine graduations that you could from a sRGB monitor.. maybe, maybe not..

I had the Hp 2475 for a week and I played with it a lot and I am not certain I was getting accurate colors. I think that it leaned towards the red side even when calibrated and I must have gone over it 12-15 times to make sure comparing.

So I am now stuck on what to get. I still would love to get a Imac 27" but that's another story.

The HP 2475 has a sRGB mode but it does nothing to change the color space.
    So now I am thinking of a NEC 2490 which is about the only sRGB 24" monitor out there that is decent.
    However I just finished reading about the Dell 2410 on TFT monitors and they said the Dell equalled the nec 2490 for color calibration.
    It also has a sRGB mode which works very well.
    So my wheels are spinning in that direction..
    Plus I hear that Dell is coming out with a 27" a 2710 model that might be a good one.
    I liked the size of the 24" but now I am thinking hey let's go bigger.

any suggestions?

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

I think the Dell 2709 is a great monitor, but only 1920 X 1200. Hopefully the 2710 will move to 2560 X 1400 like the iMac, otherwise I would say its a step down from the iMac.

Yet another person (chrono1081) has said that they actually *like* glossy screen color.

Your labs dont have monitor profiles? Heck, I think even Costco has a downloadable monitor profile for their printers.

What do your labs recommend?

Have you tried photographers forums?

9. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if my MBP will push the 2560x1440 pixels,, maybe.

Maybe I should sell my 15" MBP and get a 17" which has 8bit color and matte screen. My mbp is pushing a tad over three years and I live on it.

10. Bonsai71 macrumors newbie

The 15" also has a matte option now, with LED, and I'm assuming 8bit panel on the pro.

I'm very happy with my 17" 1920x1200 LED matte MacBook Pro, and I too would buy the 27" iMac in a heartbeat IF it had the same glass free option - even if it still had the same glossy panel, just get rid of the pointless, double reflection inducing, glass. Its just not needed, its not bonded to the screen or anything, it does not add anything to the (great) screen, except more reflections.

I'm keeping my 24" white iMac, with no glass, for as long as possible, or until there is a Matte option on the 27" quad iMac. You are not alone on wanting this.

11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

not alone, but in the minority Im afraid.

All MBPs can push a 30" monitor at 2500 X 1600.

As of today, all macs sold at the apple store can do the same, even the mini and the MBA.