Apple... Please stop depending on google.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Jul 20, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Google made youtube app and google map for iOS 4. But, did we see any updates what so ever on this? No. Iphone 4 still doesn't offer google map navigation and youtube app hasn't been updated yet for past 3 years. I don't know if apple is blocking them or google is just focusing on their own OS, Android. But, I hope apple breaks away from google and release their own maps with voice guidance. I see the Bing search as their first start, but apple needs to hurry up. Your thoughts?

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

What makes you think that Apple depends on Google and what is it that you would want as an alternative?

I'm very pleased with YouTube on the iphone. Especially the latest access is a joy to use:

http://m.youtube.com/

3. TranceNW macrumors regular

You know Apple designed the YouTube and Maps app right?
    If anyone is responsible for not updating them, it's Apple.

For the record, i'm happy with them. My only niggle would be the lack of a HQ option for YouTube on the iPhone, but with the new m.youtube.com this is now less of an issue.

4. kysee macrumors newbie

5. Phokus macrumors regular

Yes apple, please stop depending on the biggest/best cloud computing service on the internet :rolleyes:

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

7. shawntkeating macrumors member

8. Vihzel macrumors 6502

What would happen if Google completely dropped all of their services for the iPhone?

9. quotison macrumors member

Google's services would be considerably less popular and profitable.

10. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Youtube app has been updated a couple of times actually.

11. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I meant what would that be for iPhone users if Google blocked even Google Search? Would they all use Bing? What would happen if Google blocked Youtube to iPhone users? If Hulu can selectively allow who has access, can't Google?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is on the business making a profit, and its doing a good job at it. Trying to replace google's map, voice is a money losing proposition. Bing is awful and I'm glad they're not using it.

13. Rus Shackleford macrumors regular

totally disagree. They ARE going to replace google's map app which is a great idea (can't be dependent on it and also they need turn by turn gps) and the new m.youtube.com is sufficient to drop the youtube app or just keep it as is.

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You do realize apple is the one in charge of google maps and the YouTube app on the iPhone, right? They use google's services, but the actuall apps were all done by apple. And google maps was just updated, it's higher res now and the squares of the map fade in instead of just popping up. If it doesn't have turn by turn that's on apple, they probably didn't include it because of apps like Tom Tom and navigon.

15. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

You are right about hulu, and I'm sure Google COULD selectively allow who has access and who doesn't, but that is not what Google stands for, so I doubt we'd see them do something like that

16. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

You are correct! Like iPhone's iOS, Google Maps and Youtube it's basically the same apps we have seen since 2007 with a few minor tweaks. It's a shame how slow Apple moves to improve anything.

17. xmtgx macrumors regular

Its a big issue for a OCD person like me. Now I have 2 youtube apps on my screen. Just sayin.