Apple pls let us disable boot chime!!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 2Turbo, Oct 2, 2013.

1. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

It's been bugging me for YEARS. Not everyone wants an annoying startup chime. It also disturbs quiet environments. Does Apple even care about their customers?

To not have a simple option in sys prefs to turn off the boot chime IS SO FREAKING ASININE! The need to use hacks for this is ridiculous!

And don't tell me it's needed for diagnostics. Without having to hack/mute it, and with a real off button, it can still beep if ram error or whatever.

I'd like to start a petition or something, this crap is so annoying!!!!!! I wish I could hack Apples site and put this on the front page to get their attention.... :mad:

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I believe the sound and it's control are built into the ROM and can't be touched. It's the last step in the sequence of testing your RAM and indicates a pass. Whenever I've wanted to kill it, I just plug something into the speaker jack.

3. benwiggy, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

benwiggy macrumors 68020

You can hold down the Mute button at startup to silence your Mac's startup tone. You'll need to press it again to un-mute the system once you've booted. (But then, if you're in a "quiet environment"....;) )

However, most people put their Macs to sleep and don't restart all that often.

Even if you had to restart once a day, i think you might be over-reacting to the "issue". Try less coffee, see if that improves things.

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

personally I find it useful to know everything is ready for startup. also useful to know when to hold down the boot menu key (I have multiple OS's).

I guess for some users it would be nice to have control options such as 'beep on error only' or something.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Citation, please. ;)
    But really, if you have one...

I'm one of the "least" people. Good tip! Now I have to remember it next time someone is trying to sleep on the other side of the door by the computer.

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Please no, leave the startup/POST chime in place. As a Mac Admin/Technician my job would be way harder if this chime could be disabled. This is the only place I've seen any disdain for the startup chime, I can assure you the majority of people like the sound.

Just hit mute before shutting down / restarting your Mac, thats what I do if I need to restart without bothering others.

7. 2Turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

2Turbo

You really believe the only way to properly diagnose a computer is with an annoying start chime? :rolleyes:

How about Apple use their 'innovation' and create another method of diagnostic. Please dude, there are other methods they could implement. As much as I support Apple, I can't stand them for this crap. At least with a PC I didn't have to deal with this garbage.

I can't believe people who think having to mute/unmute every time is a reasonable option...

----------

How does the chime tell you everything is 'ready for startup'?

Exactly. So simple. WTF Apple :confused:

8. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I didn't say it was the ONLY way to properly diagnose a failure, however it is extremely helpful in a lot of instances.

I'm literally laughing that this bugs some people so much. I've truly heard at least a couple dozen people over the years comment that it's a lovely tone. Maybe I should make a thread in the iOS section to complain about the lack of a "Restart" option when shutting down an iOS device. I mean, it's an annoyance to me so clearly Apple is crazy and I should throw a fit.

9. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

Personally , I like the chimes. Brings a bit of nostalgia to me from using my first macs. I guess I'm just used to the sound.

10. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

So you want to kill Wall-E

Never going to happen. :D

11. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

My desktop Mac never sleeps, but I also don't restart very often either.

I like having the chime as a head's up everything is booting correctly.

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

In earlier times you could disable it by plugging in a headphone jack, I'm not sure if that is still possible.

13. Psilocin macrumors member

There probably isn't any concrete data or studies done on this, but you can probably find various polls if you search around. It's simply due to the fact that it is faster to wake a laptop up from sleep as opposed to a cold start, and being able to get back work immediately.

In the old days when RAM was limited, rebooting once a day was recommended to "speed up" the computer. But now when we have 8gigs of RAM and better optimization, it's not an issue. On a Windows laptop, I used to hibernate 99% of the time and reboot once a week. On my mbp, it's even faster and instantaneous.

14. 2Turbo thread starter macrumors 6502

2Turbo

Is there at least a solid hack for iMacs? I use startninja on my MacBook but it's a huge pain to have to unplug my external speakers each time I shutdown just to avoid the chime. I can't believe PC/Windows lets you disable startup sounds. :rolleyes:

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, that didn't work for me. I don't have an Apple keyboard, so maybe that's why. I'll have to try the headphones trick next time I restart.

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

Windows theme sounds aren't the same thing as the startup chime.

The Macintosh Startup Chime is the Mac equivalent to the BIOS POST Chime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_startup

It lets the user know that all of the low level hardware is working and passed its self checkup.

Also, google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?q=disable+mac+startup+chime

http://osxdaily.com/2012/11/04/disable-mac-boot-chime/

17. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Some time ago, I found a thread here where there were terminal commands to lower the chime's volume. I can't find that thread after searching for some time now. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

See the last link in my post. :)

19. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Oh cool. I was was on my phone when I saw this so I didn't open the link. Thanks a lot!