Apple Podcasts app just killed my data plan

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Schtibbie, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Ok, so I have a grandfathered measly 200meg data plan. I know that's tiny. But I'm on wifi most all the time, so it has worked out fine the past couple years. But today I did a crazy thing: I used the Apple Podcasts app (1.1.1). I downloaded 3 episodes at home (on wifi) of a podcast. I went to the Podcast settings in Settings and turned OFF "Use cellular data". Then when I saw that the podcasts had finished downloading, wifi not moving any more data, etc, I went out for a run.

The podcast I started playing was an hour long, but decided to run longer. For some reason I cannot fathom, it started playing another episode as soon as that one finished but I didn't notice at the time that it was playing an episode I HAD NOT DOWNLOADED!! It was streaming. Not only that, it apparently downloaded or streamed MORE THAN ONE episode while I was out because I had 100 megs of data usage just during that one run. At this point I'm probably gonna get an overage from AT&T.

Absolutely maddening. Did I ASK it to download or redownload stuff I already had? Did i ask it to start streaming the next episode OVER CELLULAR?? Holy crap!

On top of that, I couldn't run the podcast directly through Nike+ because it's not a song or a playlist. WTF?

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Uummmm...sorry?

Never heard of that happening before...watching my data very closely this month.

3. evandy macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. Upgraded my iPhone 4s from iOS5 to iOS6 on thursday. As a result, I was no longer able to play downloaded podcasts via the music app. On Friday, I played 1 "pre-downloaded" podcast on my way to work. While at work, somehow the podcast app managed to download a bunch of files (despite being set to download on WiFi only), and I chewed through 400MB of my 200MB plan in 1 day. That's 200% of my monthly allotment on ONE DAY.

I have called AT&T, and they are investigating. I have switched to the 3G plan until this gets sorted out... and will be deleting the podcast app shortly. I guess it's time to try Downcast.

This is VERY MUCH not a good thing. One speculation I have seen from others: If you open Podcast while on WiFi and then leave WiFi it doesn't abort the in-progress downloads.... ouch.

Personally, I want a way to COMPLETELY disable streaming of any sort. Not even by accident.

4. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I use Instacast instead, allowing me to regulate what is downloaded (over WiFi only) vs leaving it up to the podcast app.

5. kauffee macrumors newbie

This is a widely reported issue. Consider yourself lucky to get away wirh just 100mb of use.

As others have said, best thing you can do would be to completely delete the Podcast app and use something else.

Might also be worth calling and seeing if the will reverse the charges.

6. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

In my Podcast settings, I have Auto-Download: Use Cellular Data set to Off.

Does that not work?

7. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't work. I was very careful to set that. I'm anal retentive about settings.

8. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

I am having the same problem; I went over last month and I only have 50mb left this month with 13 more days left in my cycle. I haven't used my phone on cellular anymore than on ios5. I just deleted the app, it is pathetic. I emailed apple asking for a reimbursement, but I know I wont get any

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Reimbursement for what?

Anyway try DownCast a much better podcast app.

10. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

For the fact that the awful app cost me an extra $15, but I know I wont get it

11. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

The podcast app is without question the worst app Apple have ever made. I tried using it for a while but it's just full of bugs and it looks like crap. I thought I was gonna be forced into using it when I noticed that Apple no longer allow you to stream podcasts via the iTunes app, but luckily I found a way of getting around it. Just type the podcast you want into google search on safari and then click the link, it should open up inside the iTunes app and show all the episodes available, only this time when you click them it allows you to stream again.

Doesn't help the OP, but it's a neat trick.

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yeah crap app. apple should remove it from the App Store. Downcast is awesome.

13. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Turn off data when running

14. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I wouldn't even mess with the Apple podcast app. Try downcast, it's a great podcast app.

15. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Do you have an ipod you could put your podcasts on?