Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will make Podcasts subscription options available starting on Tuesday, June 15, Apple said today in an email that was sent out to podcasters (via The Verge).

Podcasts-Feature.jpg

Support for Podcasts Subscriptions was introduced with the iOS 14.6 update, but in late May after releasing the update Apple said that the rollout of the feature would be delayed until June to make sure that the "best experience" is being provided to creators and listeners.

Podcast Subscriptions were first announced at Apple's April event and will see podcast creators able to offer paid subscription options with access to exclusive content, ad-free listening, and other perks.

Apple likely delayed the subscription feature because Podcast app users have been unhappy with the changes that were implemented in an iOS 14.5 update. There were multiple complaints about the usability of the app, which Apple began to address in iOS 14.6. When delaying the Podcast Subscriptions launch, Apple said that further improvements to the Podcasts app are in the works.

Article Link: Apple Podcasts Subscriptions Launching on June 15

pubb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
So whats the deal? No podcasts unless I pay/subscribe? "Premium" podcasts come at a price while others are free? I already have Apple One premier. There are very, very few podcasts I would pay for. And many of them, I binge in a weekend.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
So whats the deal? No podcasts unless I pay/subscribe? "Premium" podcasts come at a price while others are free? I already have Apple One premier. There are very, very few podcasts I would pay for. And many of them, I binge in a weekend.
No most podcasts will continue to be available for free with ad breaks like you’re used to. Subscriptions are more for independent media, where they’re relying on contributions from listeners and followers. I don’t have a problem with it, there’s a few shows I listen to where they put out a quality product, and I don‘t mind giving a few bucks a month for no ads and exclusive content.

pubb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
No most podcasts will continue to be available for free with ad breaks like you’re used to. Subscriptions are more for independent media, where they’re relying on contributions from listeners and followers. I don’t have a problem with it, there’s a few shows I listen to where they put out a quality product, and I don‘t mind giving a few bucks a month for no ads and exclusive content.
I did that with In the Dark, but I did that without filtering the money through Apple.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

Been doing this for years with Patreon. I guess Apple noticed some of my money wasn’t being filtered through their accounts.

efp722

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Philly
Pocket Casts.
I've used Pocket Casts before, and it's good. But I prefer Overcast.

Anyone reading this- if you use the stock Podcast app and never considered switching, do yourself a favor and try a different podcast app. Any app will be better, offer more features, and be more streamlined than the stock Podcast app.

Reactions: dk001

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
I have downloaded a backlog of over 1,500 podcasts (including most of Art Bell’s shows, old Car Talk episodes, etc.) - most of which are either no longer available or are now behind paywalls. Given that the majority of which are over 2 hrs in length, this should keep me busy for several years. For more current content, I use PocketCasts and just listen/delete as wanted. Apple asking me to subscribe and use their substandard app? I don’t think so…

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
I agree. The Apple podcast app is so bad, I had no choice but to look for alternatives. Overcast and Pocket Cast are both good apps. On a whim I tried Spotify for podcasts, and have since moved over to their app. I had such a good experience with their app that I’m now subscribing to their music service (dumped Apple Music). Give those three a try though.

Reactions: martyjmclean

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I don't really understand how things will change for my podcasts.
I understand ad-free listening (although only a few podcasts have ads) and additional content; I just wouldn't want to see the podcasts I already follow locked behind a pay wall

• Love
Reactions: caligurl

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I’ve got a couple of podcasts where I get extra content through Patreon as I enjoy their shows and feel they are deserving of my money.

If they choose to opt into using Apple Podcasts as an alternative way of getting paid (and perhaps potentially more people listening to them) then I don’t see the harm in it being an option.

And nor do I have an issue with people not wanting to pay for their podcasts either, just nice to have the choice.

I just want the sync issue fixed-receiving shows hours after they are released is unacceptable and Apple needs to fix that and hopefully with this update.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I’ve got a couple of podcasts where I get extra content through Patreon as I enjoy their shows and feel they are deserving of my money.

If they choose to opt into using Apple Podcasts as an alternative way of getting paid (and perhaps potentially more people listening to them) then I don’t see the harm in it being an option.

And nor do I have an issue with people not wanting to pay for their podcasts either, just nice to have the choice.

I just want the sync issue fixed-receiving shows hours after they are released is unacceptable and Apple needs to fix that and hopefully with this update.

Same but even if Apple charges no more than Patreon then with Patreon I get not just podcasts but videos, text posts, user comments and polls.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
apple’s podcasts app is pretty much the worst app they’ve ever continued to maintain. It quite literally gets worse with every update. If there was a clear alternative which crushed it, I would switch.
Yup. It's been so bad for so long that I have deleted the app from my devices. If I want to listen to the occasional podcast, I'll go to the host's desktop site.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
Same but even if Apple charges no more than Patreon then with Patreon I get not just podcasts but videos, text posts, user comments and polls.
Yep-all I was suggesting was that surely it doesn’t do the creators any harm having another potential to generate income.

You might have people that aren’t interested in the other bits and pieces as an example.

axcess99

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
I used to like Apple Podcasts and thought moving to Overcast was mostly lateral but a few nicities. Now the Apple Podcasts app feels almost unusable. They went from neglecting it to not knowing what they are doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.