Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

besson3c

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2003
Re: Apple Popularizing

Originally posted by Azoblue

Furthermore, with the increased number of users, viruses and things of the sort will become as big of an issue as it is now with PC's. Thus virtually eliminating the aura that surrounds Apple. Quality. Stability. Stigma. Apple has lots to lose.

I agree with everything but this. On what basis do you claim this? It has been discussed countless times that the number of virii is not proportional to the market share.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I would be happy when people actually consider a Mac as well as a PC in their purchases. But only the tech. savvy do that. The average user only knows about a PC. If Apple wants more average users, then they need to market a little bit more.

xiliquiern

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2004
Posting from the view of 'your moderately more learned PC user', Macs have a few problems that keep them out of the everyday household.
1) You can get a Dell that surfs the web, runs Word, Excel, and some games for about $500. Less if you build it yourself. If Macs offered a 2.5+ Ghz for less than $600, then they would certaintly have a larger market share.
2) People, when working on a Mac, don't want to explore, they want it all to be there right infront of them. Macs are very good for the things not right in front of you, for example, the average joe user just puts word, excel, and IE (which I HATE vehemently) on the destop. *clicky-clicky* Instant (sorta) internet. That's all most people use; the icons on the desktop.
3) Learning curve: Most people are just casual users...they would never be found on a forum like this. They were brought up on PC's and they like the comfort zone. They wouldn't know where to get third party software, how to update manually, etc. etc. (assuming they wanted to)

Personally, I find Macs to be incredible peices of hardware, that are wonderful for many tasks...I just don't have the money for one to match my PC. Also...incredible monitors are a plus.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
übergeek said:
i found a great sig (sorry i dont remember whose sig it was :p ) from a MacRumors member that stated that the day Apple has a majority market share is the day he switches to PC...i so agree with that statement...but i'm already using PCs :p

If Apple ever beats MS, Apple will become the next MS.
There's a sizable Apple community in Los Angeles though, so its awesome :D
And even 1% is a large amount. Think about it. Apple's real market share is around 5% (generously), out of every 100 people, 5 are Maccies. Thats not bad lol.

my sig probably lies i'd buy a macintosh 128k and sit in a cupbord all day remembering the good old days when i was cool for having a powerbook 100 :p

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The problem with Apple having such a small portion of the market is that retail stores in smaller communities don't carry Mac software. I live in a small town, and we have 3 computer stores--none of which carry any Mac software at all. The nearest store with Mac software/Accessories is 60 miles away. Everyone I know brags about how "neat" or how "cool" my macs are but they are like "You can't even buy software for them here".

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
xiliquiern said:
Posting from the view of 'your moderately more learned PC user', Macs have a few problems that keep them out of the everyday household.
1) You can get a Dell that surfs the web, runs Word, Excel, and some games for about $500. Less if you build it yourself. If Macs offered a 2.5+ Ghz for less than $600, then they would certaintly have a larger market share.
2) People, when working on a Mac, don't want to explore, they want it all to be there right infront of them. Macs are very good for the things not right in front of you, for example, the average joe user just puts word, excel, and IE (which I HATE vehemently) on the destop. *clicky-clicky* Instant (sorta) internet. That's all most people use; the icons on the desktop.
3) Learning curve: Most people are just casual users...they would never be found on a forum like this. They were brought up on PC's and they like the comfort zone. They wouldn't know where to get third party software, how to update manually, etc. etc. (assuming they wanted to) Personally, I find Macs to be incredible peices of hardware, that are wonderful for many tasks...I just don't have the money for one to match my PC. Also...incredible monitors are a plus.

I completely agree. I dunno if Apple releasing a sub $500 product would even help them now. They tried this once with releasing a $799 iMac then upped the price on them. So I dunno what the answer is. I bought an iMac for my grandparents, and my grandpa loves Sherlock and Safari and said the funniest thing the other day--"Apple seems to be the most innovative out of the bunch." hehe--go gramps!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
dukemeiser said:
I would be happy when people actually consider a Mac as well as a PC in their purchases. But only the tech. savvy do that. The average user only knows about a PC. If Apple wants more average users, then they need to market a little bit more.

Not to mention that their computers need to be on the shelves of places where people buy PCs.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I don't understand Apple's marketing either. There commercials rarely mention anything about the product itself. Take the G5 commercial... yeah it was cool but did it say anything about the computer itself? I don't even remember if it said its price. Everytime I turn on the TV, there is a Dell commerical on.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
xiliquiern said:
That $500 Dell that you're talking about is a 2.66ghz P4 with 128MB RAM. It has an integrated graphics card, so games won't run very well. Plus, you'll have to pony up $129 for Office Basic (doesn't include PowerPoint).

In the end, you're looking at $630 for an XP machine with not enough RAM. Plus it won't run games very well.

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
agreenster said:
But thats only partly true. Apple isnt quite as luxury as porsche and BMW....Apple has a few hurdles yet before they are at that level.

I don't know...a neighbor of mine just recently bought a DVD player from BB for $30. It lasted a week before it wouldn't eject her DVD. She went back and paid $130 for a DVD/VCR combo box. The first player had a manual in at least two languages. The second player's manual was in english only. She said something about getting what you pay for, and when I compared her Acura Integra to a Chevy Malibu she got it.

richland

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
ftaok said:
That $500 Dell that you're talking about is a 2.66ghz P4 with 128MB RAM. It has an integrated graphics card, so games won't run very well. Plus, you'll have to pony up $129 for Office Basic (doesn't include PowerPoint).

In the end, you're looking at $630 for an XP machine with not enough RAM. Plus it won't run games very well.

It comes with Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® and Money® so there would be no use to buy office for the average user.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
richland said:
It comes with Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® and Money® so there would be no use to buy office for the average user.
I realize that. The original poster stated that you can get a $500 Dell that can surf the web, run Excel and Word, and some games. In reality, you need to add on the Office option to run Excel and Word. And you'll never be happy playing games on an XP machine with 128MB RAM and an integrated graphics card.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Ahhh teaching..

An earlier comment about the "Compass thing" reminds me how much I get simple pleasure of teaching people little things about Mac computers.

We've got a nice little section of about 25 17" 1.25Ghz. iMacs and nearly everyday I start doing some work on one of them I'll see somebody flustered by really simple things like figuring out how to make the drive bay open. Is there anything more gratifying than showing them the eject button (which was right by their hand) and having the bay come out so subtly?

I think Macs are gaining momentum, especially with the iPod being so hip and well-designed and the co-current drop of iBooks into the $1000 range for students...great move by Apple! Get the kiddies computers now so they'll keep buying the $2,000 ones when they're older. Good times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.