Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
The only two things that I am sure in this life:
-Everybody is going to die one day.
-Samsung will copy.
They haven't copied iPad Pro and Apple Watcho_O
How is this innovation? seems to me they are forcing flexible displays down our throats instead of focusing on holographic displays
When holographic hits the market the iPad Pro, Mini and iPhone 6 Plus form factor will become obsolete!!!! and iPad Air form factor will become a laptop killer!!!
So as always Steve was right!

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The only two things that I am sure in this life:
-Everybody is going to die one day.
-Samsung will copy.

-In 5 years, Apple's implementation will be standard on every smartphone then everyone will claim some obscure android device had this technology first, then the same people will say Apple doesn't innovate anymore.

Im still waiting for "Samsung Touch"'s debut.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I hope Apple doesn't use this as an excuse to reduce battery capacity even further in the name of thinness.

Old 'Doc' Cook will most likely remove the battery altogether.

old_doc_cook-jpeg.614445

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
The demo video had the engineers having to go through setup processes/pairing with devices, etc. I hope if Apple implements this, it requires none of that mess.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
-In 5 years, Apple's implementation will be standard on every smartphone then everyone will claim some obscure android device had this technology first, then the same people will say Apple doesn't innovate anymore.

Im still waiting for "Samsung Touch"'s debut.
I'm sure that Steve ideas we're better..3D touch is gimmick, it's not a multi touch haptic feedback
Force Touch was nice feature, but because they changed the name and made so much fuzz about it..makes it a gimmick

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014

In early 2015, Energous also inked a deal with an unnamed consumer electronics company, positioned as one of the top five companies in the world....process of elimination....blah...

This says "consumer electronics company", not "computer" company, so I'm not sure that list of 5 given is accurate. But even if it were, the process of elimination is flawed because it assumes that we're talking about wireless charging for smartphones. But this technology is applicable to any small wireless device (author said under 10w). Don't HP and Hitachi make *any* devices that fall within that limitation (e.g. light laptops, mice, etc.)?

nortofthe13th

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
I'm sure that Steve ideas we're better..3D touch is gimmick, it's not a multi touch haptic feedback
Force Touch was nice feature, but because they changed the name and made so much fuzz about it..makes it a gimmick
That doesn't even make sense. (I hope you meant that with sarcasm)
3D Touch is awesome! Once people realize that (like a lot of us have) there will be even more apps and new ways to use it. Quick Actions and Peak alone are fantastic! From the software animation side to the precise tap of the hardware.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Important questions to ask are time to charge, power consumption and if it's green compliant as in not using energy when not charging a device relative to closed proximity wireless charging and wired charging.

SupaDav03

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2015
I actually see this being more practical in the car, especially with bluetooth etc and charging something in the car would only require the technology having to charge something through a small range.

Think this make the least amount of sense in a car. Your not really moving around in a car. So who cares if your phone is plugged in? Also, they already have car makers looking to integrate wireless charging pads into your cup holders and change trays. Just set you phone there, and its start charging.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/automakers-rush-to-add-wireless-charging-to-vehicles.html

To me, this would be great for home use. I don't have a home phone, as a lot of people dont anymore, so when you are running low on power you dont have to leave your phone in the other room or be tethered to the wall. You can just continue to go about your normal routines.

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
Apple is also working on an extended range release date for the skylake macbooks...

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Oh man.. my tinfoil hat is going to need a matching suit.
The waves!
They are in the magnetic radio waves!
They can read your mind!
Cause cancer!
Autism!!
PINK EYE!

Reactions: mw360

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
There can't possibly be any health risks of having electrons with high velocity and power flying through the air searching for something to "charge".

Seriously, there, it might be fine, but I haven't heard of any research that would let us know. Anyone know of some animal research on this?

Where are we getting the idea this involves high velocity electrons? Its photons. And they're the same velocity as all the other photons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.