Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why do you doubt it? You can already run two 2560x1600 displays as well as the internal display at an effective 3840x2400, which is a shedload more pixels than this...

Because of the following:

1) The current TB/DP supports 10Gbps, which 2560x1600 displays does not saturate via each TB/DP port.
2) Internal Display is internally connected to the GPU, so the external protocol doesn't matter
3) The 5120x2880 requires ~15Gbps of data throughput, something current TB cannot do. Thus, TB2 is required with its 20Gbps channels.

This does not mean a new Retina display is coming... There are plenty of screens that already have a 5120 x 2880 resolution already.

Such as?

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Do you really need a retina display for a desktop monitor? Aren't most users like 2 - 3 feet away from the monitor ... at which point can the human eye even see the pixels?

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Do you really need a retina display for a desktop monitor? Aren't most users like 2 - 3 feet away from the monitor ... at which point can the human eye even see the pixels?

People don't get it no matter how many times you'll say it. They just know "retina" but don't understand DPI and the human eye.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
[/COLOR]
I think mavericks gives a bit of a tip of the hat to cougar, in terms of top gun. People keep saying the cougar is just a mountain lion, so maverick(s) is just better.

True that, but how do I go about patenting operating system names? I have a few that I think may be valuable in the coming years...

Half Dome (Or Yosemite, El Capitan, etc.)
Boardwalk (Santa ((Monica or Cruz)))
Redwood
Sequoia
Marijuana (Shout-out to Humbolt)
Napa
Blue Lake (for Tahoe)

And I'll throw in Fresno for good will to the central valley.

BeauPaul

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2011
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
[/COLOR]

True that, but how do I go about patenting operating system names? I have a few that I think may be valuable in the coming years...

Redwood
Sequoia
Napa
Blue Lake (for Tahoe)

How about naming it after people in California . . .

OSX Nancy Pelosi . . . "You'll have to buy it to see what it does"

Lullabye

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
[/COLOR]

Redwood
Sequoia
Napa
Blue Lake (for Tahoe)

I vote for Napa and Tahoe

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
People don't get it no matter how many times you'll say it. They just know "retina" but don't understand DPI and the human eye.
Let's say I want to design a spread of pages for a printed magazine. 2 Letter size pages at 300DPI. That would lead to a total resolution of 5100*3300, which would barely fit in the width of a 27" retina display, and still couldn't fit the height.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I think mavericks gives a bit of a tip of the hat to cougar, in terms of top gun. People keep saying the cougar is just a mountain lion, so maverick(s) is just better.

Well cougars, panthers, pumas, and mountain lions are the essentially same thing, so it won't really matter.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Of all of today's events, THIS one has me excited. I am drooling at the thought of doing my photography editing on a display supporting this resolution. THe next question is then, will the Macbook Pro's support it, or only the new Mac Pro?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Thunderbolt 2 is probably all well and good, but Apple's still not getting it, and they still think Thunderbolt is the future ....

How many PC's have thunderbolt in the world, and how many add-on cards can you get to ad Thunderbolt to a PC's ? Not many....

Its all about ahead .... Speed may be great, and Apple can promote "faster this" and "faster that", but unless all PC's use it, its just another faster limited connection thats only Apple devices can use..

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Yes, we can. I have the 27" Cinema and I can see the blurry text effect after my eyes are already adjusted to my rMBP and iPad. I see all the pixels even at 3 feet away.

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
Thunderbolt 2 = 20 Gigabits

5120 * 2880 * 60 * (24 bits) = 19.7753906 Gigabits

Because of the following:

1) The current TB/DP supports 10Gbps, which 2560x1600 displays does not saturate via each TB/DP port.
2) Internal Display is internally connected to the GPU, so the external protocol doesn't matter
3) The 5120x2880 requires ~15Gbps of data throughput, something current TB cannot do. Thus, TB2 is required with its 20Gbps channels.

Thunderbolt 2 may be able to do 20 Gbit/s, but DisplayPort 1.2 can only muster 17.28 Gbit/s. That pretty much limits external displays connected via a single cable to normal 4K resolutions (3840x2160 or 4096x2160).

5120x2880, 24 bpp, 60 Hz using CVT with reduced blanking works out to 22.52 Gbit/s. I suppose you could cram it over DP 1.2 by dropping the color depth to 18 bpp, which would only require 16.89 Gbit/s.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Thunderbolt 2 is probably all well and good, but Apple's still not getting it, and they still think Thunderbolt is the future ....

How many PC's have thunderbolt in the world, and how many add-on cards can you get to ad Thunderbolt to a PC's ? Not many....

Its all about ahead .... Speed may be great, and Apple can promote "faster this" and "faster that", but unless all PC's use it, its just another faster limited connection thats only Apple devices can use..

And what is Apple not getting? Apple doesn't care about PCs, why would they?

Intel is the company to blame here, they're the one making it difficult for companies to use TB.

Also, What is Apple supposed to do instead? You do understand USB 3 is not great for low-latency and low CPU type of situations like displays and real-time editing? TB does this much better than USB 3. For most folks, they don't need TB, so the # of devices out there are low.

----------

Thunderbolt 2 may be able to do 20 Gbit/s, but DisplayPort 1.2 can only muster 17.28 Gbit/s. That pretty much limits external displays connected via a single cable to normal 4K resolutions (3840x2160 or 4096x2160).

5120x2880, 24 bpp, 60 Hz using CVT with reduced blanking works out to 22.52 Gbit/s. I suppose you could cram it over DP 1.2 by dropping the color depth to 18 bpp, which would only require 16.89 Gbit/s.

Anandtech explains it here: http://anandtech.com/show/7049/intel-thunderbolt-2-everything-you-need-to-know

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
[/COLOR]

Redwood
Sequoia
Napa
Blue Lake (for Tahoe)

Redwood and Sequoia would be great names for operating systems. Anything Yosemite related, too.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
And what is Apple not getting? Apple doesn't care about PCs, why would they?

Intel is the company to blame here, they're the one making it difficult for companies to use TB.

Also, What is Apple supposed to do instead? You do understand USB 3 is not great for low-latency and low CPU type of situations like displays and real-time editing? TB does this much better than USB 3. For most folks, they don't need TB, so the # of devices out there are low.

Yes.. Intel, not Apple

Yes. USB 3 is not good for real time editing..... But Thunderbolt is...... So, bring Thunderbolt to PC's then they'll be happy......

They don't need thunderbolt, but they need USB 3 ? err... how does that work ? People want performance ..... WHy wouldn't they want real time ?

I bet everyone would be happy with TB on PC's.... You can do everything with Thunderbolt, you can do with USB 3, and more.. So why wouldn't you want more of this TB performance,? I would..

And just like USB 3, if people don't care about performance much, then they don't use the speeds

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009

I thought this as well for a while. But truth be told, even at 10 ft a retina iphone looks sharper and crisper than standard. Same goes with my retina. Granted you can't see pixels, but don't curves, etc, look sharper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.