Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today, Apple has posted a developer update to iWork bringing it to Beta 4. iWork for iOS is an early version providing support for Apple's upcoming iCloud services in iOS 5. Apple has been issuing updates over the past few days, presumably in preparation for next week's media even where iOS 5 is expected to be discussed.

Meanwhile, Apple has also issued a small iBooks 1.3.1 update that is available on the App Store. The update only lists "important stability and performance improvements" but may include additional support and compatibility with iOS 5 which is sure to launch soon.

Article Link: Apple Posts iWork for iOS Beta 4, iBooks 1.3.1 Update

nkk1987

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Israel
Oh no!!

All my iBook's saved PDFs and Books removed after this update! Do anyone else has the same problem?

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Guess this means no iWork 11?
I like iWork, but people say its missing some things? a fully integrated or at least transferable excel on the word page would rock. I prefer I work when it comes to making my lab reports because I can add charts and input my data far more simpler, but it limits me on the data I can get back, on office it does some computations for me where as iWork does not (even when I switch to numbers) I hear iWork is missing a couple other features that Office has.

Add I cloud and bam your all set, but then again that isn't that much, well good thing apple has great legacy support, no need to shell out another $30.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Because the stuff isn't done yet, not to be cynical, but iOS 5 & iTunes 10.5/11 will
Probably be buggy...

Egonz

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
But where is iWork for Mac??? Let's face it, I'm not going to do heavy word processing on an iPhone or not even an iPad. The scientific community needs features like numbering and cross-referencing tables and figures, decent TOC etc. At least, there's Papers from Mekentosj that can handle citations in an acceptable way in Pages, but for the other must-have features, MS Word is sadly the only current option.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
But where is iWork for Mac??? Let's face it, I'm not going to do heavy word processing on an iPhone or not even an iPad. The scientific community needs features like numbering and cross-referencing tables and figures, decent TOC etc. At least, there's Papers from Mekentosj that can handle citations in an acceptable way in Pages, but for the other must-have features, MS Word is sadly the only current option.

Exactly - the last one is from, what, 2009? 2 years old! I want to see a better Endnote integration that works in cross talk with Word. I hate (again HATE!!!!) Word's tendency - or better possession - to move figures in a document to places I don't want them and then, juuuust when I got it back to where I want it - it jumps up 2 pages and screws everything up again. In pages it works like a dream (mostly) but I cannot send anyone else a Pages docs as most of my colleagues work sadly still with MS... And October 5th is coming up!

pamplon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

In the update for the swedish iBooks app they have finally added books for sale which was until today not available and instead offered project guthenberg classics. The new book about steve jobs can be pre-ordered but only in italian
:-/

pamplon

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

In the update for the swedish iBooks app they have finally added books for sale which was until today not available and instead offered project guthenberg classics. The new book about steve jobs can be pre-ordered but only in italian
:-/

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
No iWork for Mac updates

How can we support iWork on the iOS products when Apple has shown a total lack of support for them on the Mac. It's been almost 3 years now with no sign of any updates. Keynote had many updates before this 3 year layoff so it suffers the least. Pages has had about 4 versions but it stills needs some things. Numbers is a weak spreadsheets that needs a few more updates to be a good spreadsheet program. It suffers from being started but not finished. 3 years or more is too long for it to have no updates.

Apple has the way of starting programs or in some cases hardware then quitting them & leaving those that uses the programs no where to go but to other programs. For that reason I will wait for a new Mac iWork version before I will spend any money on an iOS version. With more outwardly work done on this iOS beta than on the Ma version it is hard to think of KeyNote, Pages & Numbers as any type of a current Mac program.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
At this point, I am wondering if they are just going to consider the iWork apps for Mac to be feature complete, continue to support them for now, and eventually abandon them.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
At this point, I am wondering if they are just going to consider the iWork apps for Mac to be feature complete, continue to support them for now, and eventually abandon them.

I am very worried about this. The iOS version do not have some major components, such as landscape orientation, section breaks, page layouts (Pages problems). I don't know if these features are coming either.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I hope it has landscape view in pages
what? Pages has landscape view now! And portrait.

----------

Ridiculous. Worry about something else. :rolleyes:

----------

How can we support iWork on the iOS products when Apple has shown a total lack of support for them on the Mac. It's been almost 3 years now with no sign of any updates. Keynote had many updates before this 3 year layoff so it suffers the least. Pages has had about 4 versions but it stills needs some things. Numbers is a weak spreadsheets that needs a few more updates to be a good spreadsheet program. It suffers from being started but not finished. 3 years or more is too long for it to have no updates.

Apple has the way of starting programs or in some cases hardware then quitting them & leaving those that uses the programs no where to go but to other programs. For that reason I will wait for a new Mac iWork version before I will spend any money on an iOS version. With more outwardly work done on this iOS beta than on the Ma version it is hard to think of KeyNote, Pages & Numbers as any type of a current Mac program.
4.1 was released July 2011. Not a major update but for Lion and Word none the less.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
[...]The scientific community needs features like numbering and cross-referencing tables and figures, decent TOC etc. [...] MS Word is sadly the only current option.
Ahm, you do know LaTeX, do you? Scientific community and Word? That's an Oxymoron.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.