Apple Posts New Antenna Performance Test

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thatoneguy159, Jul 20, 2010.

1. thatoneguy159 macrumors member

Today, Apple has released another smartphone antenna performance test video, this time featuring the Nokia N97 mini. Click here to watch it. Also, for those who have not seen the iPhone 3GS antenna performance test video that Apple posted with their initial batch of performance test videos, you can check that out here. To watch all of their performance tests videos, click here.

2. Chilla Frilla macrumors member

Chilla Frilla

thatoneguy159; What's up man? :)

3. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

apple has some of the best PR. This will blow over in a week and no one will mention it again.

btw im not having any problems with my iphone 4.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Misdirection at its best. :rolleyes:

5. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Basically, if you show other phones acting the same it takes the blame squarely off just apple.

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

No question, and you KNOW this is Apple's way of getting back at Nokia after Nokia came out and said their phones are so great because their antennae position is amazing etc etc.

Oh Apple. We hold you to a higher standard. By saying you suck like everyone else is still admitting you suck....!

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well, that's true. But I was actually referring to the fact that the iPhone suffers more from de-tuning than attenuation, which is why all it takes is a single finger to kill the iPhone's reception compared to a Kung Fu Death Grip on other phones. Misdirection. ;)

9. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

I've owned nokias and they blow iPhones away on reception. Also everyone else does it doesn't work when you present yourself as better than the rest.

10. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Classic "it wasn't us, it was them" mentality.

Shameful.

11. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

That's hardly what they're saying.

If you know of some super antenna that doesn't cause cancer, please let Apple and every other phone maker on the planet know.

This is a limit of technology at the moment which is simply their point.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, the message isn't that at all. More like "it's everyone." Huge difference. But then those with agendas will spin this just as they accuse Apple of doing.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Exactly. People should be shaming the other companies for not admitting that it's an issue no matter what they do and only bashing Apple. But no, we just get people saying that Apple is ******** us all.

14. Phokus macrumors regular

i'd like to see a bunch of non-iphone phones where you can lower the signal just by touching a tip if your finger to the phone like the iphone 4.

IT'S NOT THE SAME THING

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Apple should stop doing performance testing of other phones and concentrate on fixing the IP4

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's concentrated on the iPhone, sure, but you can cause the same issues on other phones just by gripping it.

Having common sense doesn't make me a fanboy. Your ranting, however, doesn't help your image.

17. reservedegotist macrumors regular

Well, Apple is certainly taking more flak cuz of their popularity of the phone (you don't see antenna issues on the other phones gaining nearly as much publicity), but I do wish they took the higher ground instead of having the "but everyone else is also like this!" mentality.

Then again, I guess an exposure to show that all these phones to some degree have imperfect antennas should be a drive for ALL THE COMPANIES to work on creating a fundamentally better antenna. Haranguing and in the short term take lots of **** from angry users, for long term benefits.

Or am I thinking too far ahead?

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Besides the name-calling, I agree. The sheep seem to be (conveniently?) overlooking the fact that while most if not all phones suffer from attenuation when gripped tightly, the iPhone suffers from not only that, but a different issue entirely. De-tuning. By bridging the two antennas with anything conductive (skin, for example) the antenna is de-tuned and performance suffers. It's not a "death grip," it's a death TOUCH. Big difference.

19. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

not only that, but according to tests from anandtech and consumor reports the iphone loses 24 dB when held while other handsets lose only 10-15 dB. Of course this is a fact apple doesn't want you to know, notice how in their videos they concentrate on bars and not the actual reception?

20. advan031 macrumors 6502

These phone companies attacked Apple which was warranted and now Apple is punching back which is warranted as well imo.

21. Stein357 macrumors 6502

All phones lose signal, Apple's is just the worst because they thought it would be a bright idea to put it on the exterior of the phone with no insulation. Fail.

(That being said, I'm still going to be the white 4 when it comes out.)

22. thatoneguy159 thread starter macrumors member

They have to get press something to chew on while they work on a solution. :)

23. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

In a low signal area, it will. This behavior you are seeing is the exactly same like on the iPhone 4.

It is amazing how those people jumping on the iPhone4-hate bandwagon are so damn blind to even watch a video that clearly shows massive signal loss when another phone is held "the wrong way".

Please continue though. Everyone is laughing.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps apple should spend more time in fixing their poorly designed phone, then continually trying to smear other phone makers and drag them down. This behavior is very un-apple like.

Who cares about other phones, fix the iPhone so it doesn't drop calls.

25. feddy84 macrumors member

THIS is not the problem of the iphone 4. the death grip affects all phones.

BUT the design flaw of iphone 4 is a diffrent matter.

i repeat. the design flaw is NOT the death grip