Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple posted their second quarter results today.

Apple posted a net profit of $290 million or $.35 per diluted share - as compared to profit of $46 million or $.06 per dilluted share for the year-ago quarter.

- Revenue was up 70% to 3.24 billion from the year-ago quarter.
- Gross margin was up to 29.8% (upfrom 27.8%)
- 1,070,000 Macintosh units shipped (43% increase)
- 5,311,000 iPods shipped (558% increase)

The financial results conference call takes place at 5pm ET.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
This is great

This a great thing for apple. I hope they keep up with the innovations!

To bad I didn't buy some apple stock :D

Nuc

aftk2

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Pacific NW
Holy cow!

Obviously, I'm impressed by the iPod statistics (how could you not be?), but the sizable increase in computer shipments is very, very good news as well.

Good job, Apple.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
From the Press Release:

"Apple is firing on all cylinders and we have some incredible new products in the pipeline for the coming year, starting with Mac OS X Tiger later this month."

That's sounds great! Keep on working Apple.

pennKid

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2005
Hopefully these numbers don't tell investors that everybody who can afford an ipod already has one, so now is the time to pull out the capital.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Apple's product development and marketing engine, which is powered by a prototype of what will eventually be called the PowerPC G6, is running smoothly. Apple's done a good job of keeping pipeline bubbles to a minimum and taking full advantage of multiple CPUs/cores and simultaneous multithreading. What's more, the prototype will be replaced this year with a faster, more stable version, which will allow Apple to crank out even more work. Way to go, Apple!

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
That's a lot of iPods

They're selling 21m iPods a year on an annualized basis?

That's a lot of iPods.

They're so popular, PC makers should bundle a free iPod shuffle with every retail computer they ship!

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
iPod Halo effect

A 43% increase in Macintosh units shipped? WOW! So I guess the rumors of a so called "iPod Halo effect" are coming to fruition. Great news - way to go Apple!

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Macrumors said:
Apple posted their second quarter results today.

Apple posted a net profit of $290 million or $.35 per diluted share - as compared to profit of $46 million or $.06 per dilluted share for the year-ago quarter.

- Revenue was up 70% to 3.24 billion from the year-ago quarter.
- Gross margin was up to 29.8% (upfrom 27.8%)
- 1,070,000 Macintosh units shipped (43% increase)
- 5,311,000 iPods shipped (558% increase)

The financial results conference call takes place at 5pm ET.

Sweet jesus thats awsome...

Its gonna keep up with increases like this in the next few Quarters as well, with Tiger, minis, and likely PM refreshes... sweet!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I don't get it...Apple estimated EPS of $0.20, analysts estimated $0.24-$0.25. They come in at an astounding $0.34 and the stock tanks. Hello!?!?! Clearly investors are currently ignoring Apple and the analysts and have their own completely unrealistic expectations.

egsaxy

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2004
million macs this quarter, no complaints. question is how many were mini's and can we assume that the mini is the lowest money maker (margin wise?) Don't know how other computer company's are doing but the push through inovation certainly seems to work. No one should doubt Apple now. What are the odds Dvorak says something like its a fluke (how many consecutive quarters does Apple have to surprise people before its a trend and not a fluke?)

There is a reason Steve is the Boss and I have no qualms about his leadership. 7 years and Apple couldn't be better. This proves the quality of the product Apple is shipping, keep up the goodwork.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
if memory serves me right, that's MORE ipods in the last 3 months than in the three months leading up to Xmas. That's pretty amazing.

Anyone care to confirm?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Stocks drop because profit investors are cashing out their holdings. They are waiting for the stock price to increase before they buy again.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Rocksaurus said:
Apple's stock went down after this... Why?
These results were already built in to the current stock price. Now investors are wondering how long Apple can keep this kind of growth going down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.